PCIe video card in PCIe 1x slot?

Suicidal Insanity

Limp Gawd
Is it possible to use a low end PCIe video card in a PCIe 1x slot?
If so, are there any cheap video cards which also support TV in?
Also does anyone know how well dual monitor works when mixing ATI and nvidia?

Suicidal Insanity said:
Is it possible to use a low end PCIe video card in a PCIe 1x slot?

Matrox makes video cards that are PCIe 1x: http://www.matrox.com/mga/corp/financial/products/gseries.cfm

As for whether or not you can use a 16x card in a 1x slot, no, I don't think so.

Suicidal Insanity said:
If so, are there any cheap video cards which also support TV in?

Dunno, I defer to the more knowledgable.

Suicidal Insanity said:
Also does anyone know how well dual monitor works when mixing ATI and nvidia?

I've successully mixed ATI and NVidia to drive three monitors before but the drivers gave me some hassles. This was a few years ago though, things might be different now. But if 2 monitors is all you're talking about then I would say 95% of the cards from the last 3 generations of video cards support two natively.

you can but at 1x mode you'd be sacrificing performance.

I think it was Tom's hardware who did a review and taped over the PCIe lanes to disable some and tested at 16x, 8x, 4x, 2x, & 1x

from 4x up all performed about the same except on some professional 3D apps.

But for the most part gaming did fine on 4x.

anything lower than 4x the performance dropped.

well, I have 3 monitors, the third one is just for dev, my main one is only one that needs performance (gaming)
atm I have a gf 4 PCI, however my new sound card took up the slot for my TV tuner, so I either need a combination PCI tv/vid, PCIe TV/vid, or a PCIe vid so my TV tuner can go into the PCI slot the vid card takes up atm.

I guess I could try moving my 6600GT into a 1x slot, its just a hassle with water cooling

As for performance, PCIe 1x is still faster than PCI

Back