pcie ssd's

Fastest SSD for OS usage is the Samsung 840 Pro. It's the 4k reads and writes that matter for an OS drive, not sequential.

Pretty sure the 840 Pro isn't a PCI-E SSD :p

At work we have case of FusionIO cards, not sure how fast they are but they are pretty darn expensive.

I know, but the 840 Pro has significantly higher 4k reads than both the RAIDR Express and the RevoDrive 3 x2. Therefore, in a normal OS usage scenario, the 840 Pro will be faster than either PCI-E option he provided.

In any case, the Micron P230H appears to be the fastest PCI-E SSD I can find, and that thing is wicked fast.

A PCIe SSD is useless for most people, especially with so few PCIe lanes on consumer Intel chipsets !

Now for some enterprises workloads it can be useful, but then you wouldn't buy Asus or god forbid OCZ !

I used a RevoDrive X2 for a long time and was pretty happy with it. At that time (3? 4? years ago), it was twice as fast as anything else available. I don't think that's really the case these days.

Another thing to consider... In case you are not aware, these devices need to load a large ROM into memory during boot time. This ROM is basically their RAID controller interface. Your computer only has a small amount of available ROM space.

On the X2, the ROM data size was so large that I needed to disable devices and turn off my motherboard AHCI / SATA port configuration to fit the ROM for the RevoDrive into the ROM space to see the disk and boot. This is fairly well documented on their website and it affects all brands of motherboards. However, based on what you have installed, your mileage will vary.

I have never heard anything about that. I beginning to think today ssds are better than pcie ssds, is that true?

For consumer usage, pretty much. Enterprise level, PCI-E is better and its not even close.

I have never heard anything about that. I beginning to think today ssds are better than pcie ssds, is that true?

Yes. Because of the way these are designed. Consumer PCIe SSDs do not use native PCIe SSD controllers. They instead use consumer 2 to 4 SATA SSDs and usually a cheap SATA PCIe SATA card that is capable of RAID0. This is fine for benchmarks showing large sequential reads and writes (which should be only a small percentage of your SSD usage on a desktop system even in games) but does not cut it for 4K low queue depth reads and writes (which typically dominate in a desktop).

Only when constantly transferring large files (greater than 2gb per file), and only if the destination/source is capable of writing/reading that fast.

Back