PCIe and AMD?

Molingrad

Gawd
Joined
Aug 28, 2004
Messages
706
I read that PCIe is an intel technology, and ive been looking for AMD mobo's that support PCIe but i can only find intel ones. Is PCIe going to be a proprietary bus like IBM's MCA? or will intel allow AMD to take advantage of it?
 
PCI Express was created by the PCI-SIG, which is a consortium of companies, one of which is Intel. As such, the interface is not proprietary, and AMD itself has little involvement in the adoption of the bus in AMD platform computers. While AMD could make a HyperTransport-connected PCI Express tunnel chip, I am not sure it's a big priority right now. It's up to the third-party core logic designers to come up with chipsets for the K7 and K8 platforms that support PCI Express. Currently, VIA, NVIDIA, ATi, ULi, and SiS all have announced PCI Express plans for AMD platforms. It looks like the first examples will reach customer hands by the end of this quarter, maybe next month or in October.
 
Molingrad said:
I read that PCIe is an intel technology
Where? I want to go and flame the author.

nVidia, VIA, SiS, and ServerWorks (I think :D) all have PCIe chipsets coming out for various AMD platforms.
 
Back
Top