PCI-X Cards

402blownstroker

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - Nov. 2012
Other than hard drive and ethernet controllers, are there any other cards that use the PCI-X bus?

Keith

I can't think of one. And the reason that the PCI-X interface even came about is because PCI is set up to share all of its available bandwidth across all of the lots, severely limiting throughput for high bandwidth devices, such as SCSI, SCSI RAID, Fibre Channel, SAS, Fiber networking, multi-port Copper GbE cards, etc. Those kinds of solutions require a larger amount of bandwidth, and need to be independant from other devices, even on the same bus, to avoid saturation for critical processes and resources that need to be access by the north/south bridge chips. I provdes another mode of access to the DMA controller than going through the very congested PCI bus.

But, to answer the original question....I can't think of any others.

I've seen some tuner cards that use it, but they cost about 3 times as much right now.

I've seen some tuner cards that use it, but they cost about 3 times as much right now.

Are you sure you're not thinking of PCIe?

The only other cards besides those already mentioned are some high-end HD capture/processing cards, like the Digidesign Pro Tools HD

Well I have a system with 8 PCI-X slots with 2 of them in use. I know that some PCI cards can be used in a PCI-X, but that slows down the bus to the slowest cards rate. I hate to slow down the raid and ethernet cards for a PCI sound card :(

Keith

I'm pretty sure you have various PCI-E slots, unless your computer is a mac or was meant for a workstation or server application.

PCI-X and PCI-E are totally different things.

PCI-X is used in servers for high speed disk controllers and high performance network adapters.

PCI-E is found in more normal computers and typically used for graphics cards. Modems and network cards are also available. (sound cards and some disk controllers might become available as PCI 32bit moves into the past.)

Back