PCI-X Backward Compatible?!?!

Jelic

Limp Gawd
Hey, I just read somewhere that the new PCI-X 1x standard is BACKWARD compatible with standard PCI. Does that mean you can stick, lets say a Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS into a PCI-X slot and it'd work? Physically aren't the PCI-X slots MUCH smaller than standard PCI?? I'm quite confused about this and I'm not sure. If that's true then on the Shuttle SN25P that comes with one 16x and 1 1x PCI-X slots, you could put in an Audigy 2 ZS into the PCI-X 1x slot? Can anyone enlighten me on this? Thanks

Well, it looks like it would fit, but thats not to say it won't release a few blue spirits either.

Edit: PCI-X or PCI Express?

Hah I got confused for a bit there, PCI-X and PCI Express are two different things, ignore this thread ^_^

You are confusing PCI-X with PCI Express (PCIE). PCI-X is actually backwards compatible with standard PCI and yes, you could actually put an Audigy 2 ZS in a PCI-X slot if you so desired. PCI-X slots are found on server motherboards and used to provide lots of bandwidth to things like gigabit ethernet cards and raid controllers. PCIE slots are different and are not backwards compatible with any PCI cards. The shuttle you are referring to has a PCIE x16 slot and an x1 slot, neither of which will accept an Audigy 2 ZS PCI card.

Back