PCI Vs. On Board Vid

Fuzzy Logik

[H]ard|Gawd
Ok, awhile back I posted i needed a new machine for 200 bux... lol.

Well... I am even poorer than I thought... At least women are finding me attractive :D

I realized that placing the pci TNT 2 video card in the machine probably wasn't the best idea.

The on board video is an AGp x2 3DRage Pro card. I figure it is better to run my vid through the onboard than through pci to a tnt 2... problem is UO still runs like crap on my machine. UO is a 2-d online gaem... wtf.

2 - D

Why can't my 433 celeron with this onbaord vid, and 320 mgs of sdram run a 2-d online game without running liek shit?

I used toplay it ona 333 cleeron back in the day, on an all in wonder pro

I dunno, maybe the onboard is real shitty and not much better than running video through a pci tnt 2

*sigh*

I am thinking of the board you all suggested with the on board Geforce card. The BioStar I believe it is or somehting like that. I could probably afford it right now...

I guess my question is.. what runs faster On board AGP or PCI ?

Solution: Quit UO =P j/k. Seriously though, UO died 3 years ago, leave it be =).

I always remembered my old 400 mhz computer running UO like crap after UO:R came out.

I think, from experience, PCI Video Cards are faster than Onboard Video Cards.

But you must also take into consideration what PCI Video Cards you are going to use. I have seen some expensive ones, ATI ones at my store. I am not quite sure how it works on older motherboards tho. I had a problem with a Wireless card sucking up all of the juice thru the PCI slot and preventing the computer to boot.

Hmm...hope someone else can help you out with facts and/or benchmarks.

yikes. AGP still has more bandwidth than PCI, plus it's own dedicated bus, which means you're not sharing video over the same bus as everything else. I would think that even the crappy on board AGP video would be better than the PCI TNT2, though I may be completely wrong.. The TNT2 was a nice card. :)

Originally posted by defcom_1
yikes. AGP still has more bandwidth than PCI, plus it's own dedicated bus, which means you're not sharing video over the same bus as everything else. I would think that even the crappy on board AGP video would be better than the PCI TNT2, though I may be completely wrong.. The TNT2 was a nice card. :)

Back then even 3dfx had enough faith in the PCI bus, they made Voodoo5 5500's in PCI. Two PCI Voodoo2's stomp my TNT2 AGP in a lot of old games.

That RagePro probably has some problems, I'd use the PCI TNT2.

Whats the RagePro does it predate the Rage128?

Originally posted by Yiffy
Back then even 3dfx had enough faith in the PCI bus, they made Voodoo5 5500's in PCI. Two PCI Voodoo2's stomp my TNT2 AGP in a lot of old games.

That RagePro probably has some problems, I'd use the PCI TNT2.

Whats the RagePro does it predate the Rage128?

The nice thing about the 3DFX cards is that their AGP/PCI cards recieved the exact same frames. Now with nVidia there is a noticeable difference between their AGP/PCI cards in terms of gaming.

i went from an onboard intel 810e(agp) to a pci gf2 mx400 on my old computer and it was a lot better. i am not sure where a tnt2 stacks up though.

i was getting 30 fps at 640x480 in cs with onboard video
after i got the gf2 i got 90 at 1024x768

Yeah... I will have to put the TNT 2 back in.

In all honesty, i don't think it made much of a difference.

The 3d Rage Pro AGP x2 ON Board on soem unknown MB brand from an old ass , should have been thrown away , e-machine.

What can I say, I am thrifty with computers. I know i may get aggrivated on the forum and ask some pretty obvious questions, but it's just my nature. It's how I seem to learn. So I always appreciate the help.

Like I said, the power button shorted out on the MB, only way to turn it on is to plug it in and then unplug it to tun it off.

ROFL... I wish I even had a Power Supply with a on/off switch.

It still runs somehow... the HDD is some weird unknown model. That is probably half the issue right there.

I think I enjoy havig it though... it's kinda neat.

The problem is your PCI card is pretty old and outdated.

Your other problem is that the CPU is about as old an crappy as you can get.

Not that is worth upgrading that piece of shit computer.... but you could put a celeron 667 in there for about $30. and give you 50% more Mhz... That might help

The good thing about using the PCI card is that it will free up some of your RAM that the onboard graphics was using. So you will have more free system memory.

Its really kind of disgraceful, you talking about an old 433Mhz processor in the [H] forum. Most people here have video cards and ram that run faster than your CPU!! (my ram is @ 400Mhz and my video card is at 450Mhz!)

got news for ya, you can't play UO on any system and get decent playability.

friend on a 3200xp and 9700pro gets about 16fps

no amount of hardware can compensate for its crappy coding.

Back