PCI slot

WalkinG

n00b
Hi,

I'm just wondering, what you put in the PCI slot of SFF? Soundcard, NIC, I/O ?

most of the P4 guys put a different sound card, b/c the stock one sucks

i have a shuttle sn45g w/ soundstorm audio, therefore i use my pci slot for my gigabit nic card

some of them have TV tuners,

the people with temperature paranoia uses the pci slot fan

therefore i use my pci slot for my gigabit nic card

What you use it for? I don't think there is much difference to 100Mb card, couse' it still uses 32bit PCI slot.

the onboard nic lets upload at a maximum 10mb/s

the gigabit nic (when connected p2p) gets 30mb/s
the gigabit nic and my 16port switch/and 1 gigabit port, lets me swap files with great speed and ease... its a huge difference when many people are pulling large files from you at once

I put in an Antec PCI slot fan. Not sure how much it's really doing, cuz the CPU temp is still up at 55C.

WalkinG said:
What you use it for? I don't think there is much difference to 100Mb card, couse' it still uses 32bit PCI slot.

You don't get the full gigabit speed with a 32bit slot, but you will get an improvement. I went from around 90mbit with my 100mbit network to 225mbit using gigabit. Definitely helps when transferring large files around the network.

I have a Leadtek WinTV2000 Expert... watch tv on it. One less thing to move around every 4 months...

WalkinG said:

but...PCI has 32 bit / 8 bits/bytes * 33,000,000 hz = 133 megs a sec transfer. Gigabit translates to 1000 mbit / 8 = 125 megs a sec, assuming 5 megs overhead, it should be fine...

Mine is being used right now as an HTPC, so I use the PCI slot for a 802.11G wireless NIC. The audio is perfect into the optical port in my reciever ;)

kronchev said:
but...PCI has 32 bit / 8 bits/bytes * 33,000,000 hz = 133 megs a sec transfer. Gigabit translates to 1000 mbit / 8 = 125 megs a sec, assuming 5 megs overhead, it should be fine...

yes but that data has to come from somewhere ;)

Audigy2.

in the past, I've had a Leadtek TV-2000XP(w/ internal audio mod), a Hauppauge PVR-350.

But, with the P4 systems...Audigy2.

Back