• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

PCI SATA controller worth it?

BinarySynapse

[H]F Junkie
2FA
Joined
Feb 6, 2006
Messages
13,984
I just got a temp system to use instead of that ungodly iMac I was using, but it didn't have a hard drive in it. So I threw a 3.2GB Maxtor I had laying around in it to get it up and running. However I have a 250GB SATA HD that I'd much rather be using. So I went looking for a PCI SATA card and found this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16816132001 .

My question is, would it be worth it to buy that and use my SATA HD with it, or would it be better just to spend a bit more money on a 40GB PATA drive since this is a temporary fix?
 
You'd need to find drivers for that card for mac, which might not be easy. I'd suggest something like this, so you can use the existing drivers for onboard ide but use the sata drive. It's the same price, too.

 
unhappy_mage said:
You'd need to find drivers for that card for mac, which might not be easy. I'd suggest something like this, so you can use the existing drivers for onboard ide but use the sata drive. It's the same price, too.


no.no. Sorrry I wasn't very clear. I was stuck on an old slow iMac, but not anymore. A friend loaned me his old computer (Athlon XP) to hold me over til mine's completed. But it didn't have a hard drive.

Anyway, I've heard that those bridges don't always work. But I've never seen one that converts a SATA device to IDE. What experience do you have with that one because I'd much rather that than a full blown card.
 
Ah, so I see. Reading comprehension strikes again.

I've heard good things about the bridges, but I don't own one so I'm not terribly qualified to answer. The card should work just fine with Windows, and it'll give you some flexibility in the future.

 
Back
Top