PCI Ge force 9300GS or parhelia?

Satamax

Limp Gawd
Hi guys.

Long time no post.

Well, i have an old Tyan S2882D, which i quite like. I've had a matrox parhelia PCI 256 for years on it, but after an update from Windows, (XP X64) it bugged, i have tried prety much everything, flashing the bios, reinstaling the drivers, nothing sems to work, and it's getting worse. It started like this. And now is much worse, unreadable.

580445_2992100058950_430210228_n.jpg

What do you think? Dead?

So the question is, do i find myself another Parhelia? Or do i go for the GE force 9300GS below, which i believe is better, and more modern.

http://www.ebay.fr/itm/Nvidia-Gefor...e_Composants_Cartes_Vidéo&hash=item4840d87bb8

Any opinion? Sugestion for even better? I only have pci and pxi-X, no pci express.

Thanks a lot.

Max.

Matrox p690 is a die shrunk parhelia. See if you can grab a used one of those.

I think you'll be disappointed in the 2d image quality on the NVidia compared to matrox.

Ok, thanks a lot StormUP.

I know the 690. Have you ever seen the kind of problem i have?

Because, it seems extremely weird that with windows drivers for an VGA card, i don't have the problem whatsoever, but can't have the definition up where i'd want it. I can have 1024x768, when my screen is 1920x1080i.

THanks a lot.

Max.

It looks a bit like corrupt memory to me. Lower resolutions wouldn't use as much RAM and are therefore avoiding usage of the corrupt portion? I've no way to confirm.

Ok, Thanks a lot StormUP. Would be cool if i could find something like the KX mixer but for graphic cards. Would enable me to see if it's card related or software related. Since it's not a cheap card, i'm not happy that it seems to fail.

Thanks again.

Have AMD / Nvidia still not caught up with Matrox 2D quality?

That's hillarious :D

Thanks a lot guys, by the way, i'm no gamer whatsoever. Working with sketchup, audition, photoshop. So, i need a decent card, not something mad!

I get back to what happened, a win update, then one day after the card started bugging, just after i connected a sata HD. That was the first time i've used the sata chanel of the mobo. All the other HD, are scsi and one big ide. I don't have problems with display untill i get onto the loggon screen. Before, during the boot, there's no prob. Even with the windows screen.

Thanks a lot Stoly! I've read about this. But what about the plastic connectors?

Don't worry they won't melt. Follow the instructions on the thread.

My personal recipe, 350ºF for 8 mins.

What's this 2D image quality you're speaking of? Doesn't it depend on the monitor's quality itself?

Guys, a daft question (i gonna pass for a dumber now) the ebay GEforce 9300 claims being 128bits, and the zotac 64bits, in terms of grâphic cards, what does this mean?

Uber Scheisse!

I knew that PCI-X was fit-able into a PCI slot, but, the big but, the contrary doesn't work. I'm feeling rather stupid! Now, i have a PCI card, and can't use it.

Any idea?

Uber Scheisse!

I knew that PCI-X was fit-able into a PCI slot, but, the big but, the contrary doesn't work. I'm feeling rather stupid! Now, i have a PCI card, and can't use it.

Any idea?

PCI cards are indeed compatible with PCI-X slots (note that PCI-X is not PCI-Express, which is a common mistake). The only catch is that PCI-X slots are 3.3v only. 3.3v PCI cards should work fine but if the PCI card is keyed for 5v it will not work.

Thanks a lot Gotnorice.

Well, thankfully i know the différence between PCIE and PCIX. But i didn't think of the blady 5 volt thing. I hope the seller takes it back. The Zotac 610 should do the job. If this can be of any help for other readers, the GE force 9300 pci doesn't work in PCI-X slots.

Back