PCI Express x16 2.0 card in 1.0 slot

So my brother wants his Compaq/HP PC upgraded to play some better games. It's a decent machine, with a Q9400 and 8GB DDR3. I realize the PSU will need to be upgraded, as it was only like 350W. But looking at the specs for the motherboard it does not list the x16 slot as 2.0 which makes me think it's 1.0. The motherboard is a Pegatron IPIEL-LA3.

Any advise on selecting a graphics card for this? Will it need to be backwards compatible? Maybe the slot is 2.0, and the specs just didn't mention it (seems like a possibility)?

TIA

Yeah you can use a PCIe 2.0 or even 3.0 card in a 1.0 slot. No problem.

Should if affect my selection of a card? Like will it limit the bandwidth of a better card, so maybe just get an ok card?

Well, yes, but the PCIe bandwidth isn't really what you should be worried about. The whole system is going to be holding any modern card back, especially the cpu. I would suggest a GTX660/GTX660Ti or an aAMD Radeon 7770/7850.

Ok thanks. I probably wasn't even going to go that high, due to his budget mainly and also he only games at 1080p.

Ok thanks. I probably wasn't even to get that good of a card due to his budget, but it's good to know it would handle it

so this is really strange, that sight says pci-e 2.0 for sure, but intel's site here says the G43 chipset is only pci-e 1.1, either way sounds like you won't be going overboard on the vid card so it shouldn't make that much of a difference.

Odd, but I can also verify that my wifes G43 based mobo is PCI-e 2.0 compliant, and running 2.0 with her 460. So yeah, G43 definitely supports it.

Back