• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

PCI Express or AGP?

Lyrids

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jul 19, 2004
Messages
320
I'm really behind on hardware and my friend is getting a new computer soon. I'm looking at 6600GT's and I don't know which format to get. The motherboard is probably going to be a Chaintech VNF4.
 
PCIE. Only get AGP if you already have a video card/motherboard and you'd like to use it.
 
get pcie, which means less need to upgrade mobo esp if you upgrade all the time.
also if you only rarely upgrade, still get pcie, as it will be the standard for quite some time.
f
 
At this point the only reason to use AGP is becuase you don't want to or plan to upgrade your system. If you're spending cash on a new PC, then it would be dumb not to get PCI-E. It will eventually trickle down to the standard.

Good luck.
 
If you are getting the Chaintech VNF4 it is PCI-e only, so you have to get a PCI-e card. I would suggest getting PCi-e anyway. Good luck. :)

 
Get a PCIe mobo now so in the future when you want to use a different video card you could easily switch it.
 
Unless this is the last upgrade you ever plan on making, go PCIe. AGP is on the way out, if it isn't dead already (anyone know if nvidia or ati have any future agp parts on the way?).
 
carloswill said:
Nvidia is done but since ATI is dragging ass - who knows.

Last I hear Just recently was that ATI had no plans for a AGP version of the R520 only the R515 and R530.
 
Back
Top