• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

PCI-express frequency vs Overclock

Nirad9er

2[H]4U
Joined
Feb 18, 2004
Messages
3,035
Does upping the PCI-express frequency help in GPU overclock stability?

Stock is 100mhz. Would 105mhz be beneficial?

My 4870x2 used to be stable at 800 core / 4000 memory on my Q6600 build, but now on my Core i7 build, Battlefield Bad Company 2 locks up within 2-3 minutes. Temperatures have not changed.

Any reason for the instability? I'm using the same Catalyst 10.4a driver as I did before I upgraded. I know the video card is running OK since everything runs fine at stock speeds.

Thanks
 
Some people say it helps stability, but I've never seen anything backing that up. They also warn that going too high and cause data corruption. And for performance, going from 100-110 didn't change anything when I tried with my old 8800GT. All in all, I don't see a reason to mess with it.

I would look at your CPU overclock for the BC2 issues. There have been a few reports of a CPU passing Prime95/IBT but locking it up in a few minutes after starting the game. Back off some and see what happens.
 
Yes, backing off the CPU may help, but then why does Bad Company 2 run fine at stock clocks for video card?
 
At stock clocks, you're more GPU limited which means less CPU usage. As you clock the GPU higher, the CPU does more work to keep up.
 
Back
Top