• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

PCI-Express 2.0

YoMoma

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jun 21, 2005
Messages
201
I`m about a year out of the loop in keeping up with mobo technology. I hear that PCI-Express 2.0 has much more thruput for you graphics cards.
Any mobo`s out the use this technology yet?
I want to buy a new AM2 socket board for my pc and need some choices. Of course a new cpu will be needed as well.
 
As stated above, almost all newer motherboards have PCIe 2.0. The bandwidth of these backward compatible sockets is approximately twice that of the PCIe 1.1s.

This is especially important to consider when looking at Crossfire setups (such as on the new 790GX AMD Chipsets) that can run 1 PCIe 2.0 at x16 (16 channels) but can only run 2x PCIe 2.0 x8 when in Crossfire. This is, however, equivalent to running 2x PCIe 1.1 x16, and since last I checked, modern day (single GPU) graphics cards cannot even utilize all of the bandwidth of a PCIe 1.1 slot, so it shouldn't make any significant performance difference whether the PCIe 2.0 slot runs an electrical x8 or x16. Perhaps this changes with a dual-GPU cards like the Radeon HD 4870 X2 though, I'm not sure.

If you plan on using SLI or CrossfireX, 2x PCIe 2.0 x16 slots would certainly be better futureproofing, but for now, there doesn't seem to be a significant performance difference.
 
If I were to keep using 1 graphics card for now, are most of the PCI-E 2.0 slots (x16)? Or will I have to look carefully at what I`m buying?
 
Biostar 790GX $99.00 @ the EGG... will easily overclock any Phenom including 9850/9950...I would recomrnd getting heatsinks for thr PWM,s if you are going to Oc it..It dosnt need them ,, but cooler is always brtter.One of the best GX budget mobos that can clock..

Also Polygon @ RebelsHaven has Supurb bios support to Date .
the site has the best info on the Mobo..


http://www.rebelshavenforum.com/sis-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=45;t=000113

http://www.rebelshavenforum.com/sis-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=45;t=000158

Note;I recomend this mobo for people running A single graghicscard either Ati or Nvidia.. Especially if you dont want that 4slot mobo pricetag it performs . The onboard Video comes in handy if you fubar a Oced graphics card too. :D Also the Pci 2.0 will run @ 2.0 16x with single card .

P.S ...PCi-E 2.0 @ 16x The GX with the new SB Chip set is night and day over the TA770 ..If you are Going to Crossfire you want to disable onboard graphics if using 4xxxseries cards. 3xxxseries are fine with the 3300 onboard graphics in crossfire,,but a 4xxx series is not crossfireable only the same xxxxseries cards are.. In my sig is the TA770 with 9950....This GX is better and has great support to get that Nice Oc with;)

Insane Combo..... X4 9850pretty much a bargan combo..$260.)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138128
 
Back
Top