PCI Express 2.0 ??

btb103

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm getting ready to purchase some parts for an upgrade and I'm a little confused about PCI Express 2.0. The video card I am planning to buy is this and the motherboard I want to get is the Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3P. The card is PCI Express 2.0 but there's no mention in the specs for the motherboard if it has a 2.0 interface. I haven't been keeping up with newer technology so I don't know if 2.0 is old enough now that they just aren't putting it in the specs or I really need to get a different motherboard that supports 2.0... Please advise :)

all pcie 2 video cards are backward compatible. pcie 2 is really meaningless at this point, as no current video card pushes enough data to fill the old bus let alone the new.

I see the issue. The board you are looking at has a P35 chipset, which does not have PCI express 2, but it is a Revision 2.0 board which means there were some hardware changes done to this board. PCI express 2 cards are backwards compatible with PCI express slots. The Intel chipsets you need that has PCI express 2 slots start at the Intel X38 chipsets and higher. Here is a link for some more information on PCI express 2.

http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/09/26/intel_x38_chipset/page2.html

Back