PCI ethernet card for internet in my mobo..??

RP_JAKE454

Limp Gawd
ok i got a new abit nf7-s and i have a cable moden. i can connect either using the ethernet cable or by usb. my mobo has usb 2.0 but there isnt a place to hook ethernet cables to so i baught a pci card.. will the pci card slow my internet connection down? and can i use my 1394 connection which only has usb to connect to the internet insteaD? when i had my old mobo we talked to the cable company and they said that ethernet was preffered over usb connection but im wondering if it might be faster in my case.( i just dont kno much about 1394 connections and usb 2.0.....help me out

does that board have onboard gigabit? i had an ic7 that the onboard gigabit ethernet would make the computer freeze, others report that it wouldnt work at all. i had to rma it to get one that worked.

um no i dont think it does...what i wanna know is what is the 1394 connection for and which is beter USB or ethernet connection, (my ehternet is through a pci card because there are no ethernet slots on the motherboard...please help...

If you have an NF7-S, you have onboard ethernet. End of story. it's on the backplate, on top of two USB ports. it looks like a phone jack.

ok i always thought it looked bigger than my regular ethernet card jack but it did fit into it. but when it is plugged into that, i go into network connections and i enable all the connections and my internet still wont work. also i thought that jack was for lan or somethin AAH back to my pci card for now..

RP_JAKE454 said:
ok i always thought it looked bigger than my regular ethernet card jack but it did fit into it. but when it is plugged into that, i go into network connections and i enable all the connections and my internet still wont work. also i thought that jack was for lan or somethin AAH back to my pci card for now..
Did you install the drivers for the onboard lan?

The NF7-S, and other nForce2-based motherboards, require you to install the nForce driver kit in order to enable the LAN port. The latest release of the nForce driver kit is 4.24 (for Windows 2000/XP) and 4.20 (for Windows 98SE/Me).

Back