PCI-e vs AGP cards

clone#13

Limp Gawd
Hi all, I am very much interested in get the equivallent of the 6600GT AGP in PCI-e. Are they names the same? and is it worth getting into PCI-e now?? I keep seeing that the PCI-e version of cards are a bit cheaper than the AGP ones? any reason for that?

the 6600gt pci-e is actually faster than the agp version because for some reason they made the specs a bit higher end on the pci-e version, perhaps something about the pci-e version made the yield better, who knows.

~Adam

CleanSlate said:
the 6600gt pci-e is actually faster than the agp version because for some reason they made the specs a bit higher end on the pci-e version, perhaps something about the pci-e version made the yield better, who knows.

~Adam

it's just the memory speed that's higher

clone#13 said:
Hi all, I am very much interested in get the equivallent of the 6600GT AGP in PCI-e. Are they names the same? and is it worth getting into PCI-e now?? I keep seeing that the PCI-e version of cards are a bit cheaper than the AGP ones? any reason for that?

there is no performance reasons for games to go pci-e right now

but in a year, maybe so

games don't take advantage of pci-e yet

of course with pci-e though you could get an SLI mobo and have that upgrade path for dual 6600GT's

up to you

yeah that is what I thought too, but why the price difference? In any case, I am planning to upgrade so as to keep the setup for quite some time. Anyone here uses the gigabyte mobo GA-K8NF-9 NF4? it does have a PCI-e video slot right?

6600 GT pci-e is a very nice card, solid performance at a good price,

If i had it to do over again i would probably get a pci-e mobo and a 6600GT

pci-e is here to stay though, getting a pci-e mobo now will ensure you do have a future upgrade path

Why do you think the 6600gt pci-e has higher ram specs brent? Seems kinda random.

Perhaps to make pci-e upgrading seem desirable?

~Adam

With samsung releasing the 512 ram modules i think i read somewhere that ati and nvida are gonna have a new line of cars mid next year... pci-e is a great way to go. AGP is dead.

Destonomos said:
With samsung releasing the 512 ram modules i think i read somewhere that ati and nvida are gonna have a new line of cars mid next year... pci-e is a great way to go. AGP is dead.

they are going to be making cars now? :D

clone#13 said:
yeah that is what I thought too, but why the price difference? In any case, I am planning to upgrade so as to keep the setup for quite some time. Anyone here uses the gigabyte mobo GA-K8NF-9 NF4? it does have a PCI-e video slot right?

The main reason for the price difference between the 6600 GT PCI-E and AGP cards is the PCI-E to AGP bridge chip on the board. Anytime you introduce more chips on a card the price will increase, unfortunately. Expect to see this delta going forward on all products bridged back from PCI-E to AGP.

SH

SLI is useless for today. Most games do not support SLI technology and a single X800XT-PE with proper cooling can reach almost 1GHZ core clock speeds and completely destorys an nVidia SLI system.

I would get the PCI-E version if it provides better performance, but not for SLI reasons.

BloodRayne said:
SLI is useless for today. Most games do not support SLI technology and a single X800XT-PE with proper cooling can reach almost 1GHZ core clock speeds and completely destorys an nVidia SLI system.

I would get the PCI-E version if it provides better performance, but not for SLI reasons.

An overclocked X800XT PE would not completely destroy a SLI system lol.

Most of the new games that actually need SLI performance like DOOM 3 and HL2 support SLI. The game count will continue to increase rapidly. I dont know why everyone is complaining about it when SLI motherboards are so limited right now. The Asus SLI board is the only Athlon 64 board even available. You dont just get instant support overnight.

Its pretty easy to just buy a PCI-E 6800GT or 6800U now and then buy another one down the road when the SLI enabled game count has increased substantially.

If you want to complain about something then complain about ATI releaseing cards that are still not available 9 months later.

BloodRayne said:

And the link showing your proof is where?

Back