PCI-E to PCI

zeeDj

n00b
hey i have a question will a usb 3.0 pci-e card with a external molex power work in a pci slot seeing how my pci-e slot is coverd by my vid card and i only have a pci slot open will i still get the usb 3.0 speed i need from the usb slots on the card ? ill provide a link of the card im looking at i need to know currently working on a budget build . im only looking to spend around $5 us dollors or soo on a card but if i can find a pci usb 3.0 card that would be even better for around that price thanks hope to hear from some 1 soon !

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA67049F0952&cm_re=pci_usb_3.0_card-
_-9SIA67049F0952-_-Product

link ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

No. PCI and PCIe are completely different. A card meant for one will not work in a slot meant for the other.

No. PCI and PCIe are completely different. A card meant for one will not work in a slot meant for the other.
do you or would any one know where i can get a pci usb 3.0 card with free shipping for less then $10 us dollors at ??
\
/

I'm afraid to state this, but the bandwidth of a legacy 32-bit/33MHz PCI slot will severely limit the real-life throughput of USB 3.0. You see, the maximum theoretical throughput of PCI is only 133 MB/second - far below even the maximum real-life (400+ MB/second), let alone theoretical, throughput of USB 3.0. What's more, the maximum real-life throughput of PCI is only about 120-ish MB/second. This is the very reason why PCI USB 3.0 cards are rare and/or expensive.

Couple what E4g1e with the fact that PCI is a shared bus, so such a USB 3 card would have to share bandwidth with any other PCI device installed. This possibly includes devices build directly into the mainboard, such as the ethernet NIC and sound card.

Seems that maybe your best bet, assuming your mainboard already has USB 3, is to get a hub. If not, it may be time to upgrade the system.

Couple what E4g1e with the fact that PCI is a shared bus, so such a USB 3 card would have to share bandwidth with any other PCI device installed. This possibly includes devices build directly into the mainboard, such as the ethernet NIC and sound card.

Seems that maybe your best bet, assuming your mainboard already has USB 3, is to get a hub. If not, it may be time to upgrade the system.

There have been many motherboards (especially in the microATX form factor) designed during the early years of PCI-e which put the only x1 or x4 slot next to the primary PCI-e x16 slot - and located where it is substantially blocked by just one graphics card with a double-slot fan. That design often left only legacy 32-bit PCI slots available for internal expansion. This design has been carried over well into the Ivy Bridge (or even Haswell) CPU era.

i was ,looking into more or less something like this but for a alot cheaper price range

https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com...=1510308090&sr=1-10&keywords=pci+usb+3.0+card

seems alot for a old slot card but it is usb 3.0 but still its a lot i can see maybe around 15 to 25 dollars not 60+

by the way this is my mobo that im using

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-78LMT-S2-rev-10#ov

i got it free along with a few other parts all it needed was a vido card and a few other parts to get it runing this is why im making it a budget pc it would be great for a starter pc for a child or a beginging gamer im thinking i might sell this build or i might keep it idk yet

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
If you really need to use that PCI slot to add USB ports then buy a USB 2.0 card for the PCI slot. It's much cheaper.

https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com...d=1510409219&sr=1-3&keywords=pci+usb+2.0+card

edit
Here is a cheaper, low profile version
https://www.amazon.com/Syba-Port-Co...d=1510409219&sr=1-4&keywords=pci+usb+2.0+card
The problem is that the OP's motherboard has absolutely no USB 3.0 capability whatsoever built-in, and thus the OP needs a separate card to add USB 3.0 capability. Your suggestion simply will not suffice if the OP really needs USB 3.0. Especially since the maximum theoretical throughput of USB 2.0 is only 60 MB/second, with the maximum sustainable (real-world) throughput of USB 2.0 being only about 36 MB/second for reads and about 29 MB/second for writes. And the above figures are total for all devices combined on the same controller.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Yeah well if he gets a USB 3.0 card in the PCI slot the speeds wont be much faster than what USB 2.0 can achieve. Therefore, buying USB 3.0 is a waste.

USB 3.0 devices will work on USB 2.0 ports, just slower.

Yeah well if he gets a USB 3.0 card in the PCI slot the speeds wont be much faster than what USB 2.0 can achieve. Therefore, buying USB 3.0 is a waste.

USB 3.0 devices will work on USB 2.0 ports, just slower.
You have a valid point there. The OP is stuck between a rock and a hard place, in this case. The only fix for this (assuming that the OP really wants to keep that existing motherboard and the CPU that's on it) would have been to replace the graphics card with a special, single-slot version of it. Otherwise, if the OP did what you suggested, he might as well not buy an internal PCI card at all, but buy an external powered USB 2.0 hub instead.

Best budget bet is to get one of those PCI-E riser ribbon cables to essentially "move" the blocked empty PCI-E slot to a spot it can actually be used. These are pretty common in mods where people mount their graphics cards so that their waterblocks can be easily seen...

Here is a PCI-E 1x riser ribbon, for example - and well within the OP's budget.

And here's a PCI-E 1x USB 3.0 card from NewEgg for it to attach to.

edit: embedded URL failure.

Last edited:
Best budget bet is to get one of those PCI-E riser ribbon cables to essentially "move" the blocked empty PCI-E slot to a spot it can actually be used. These are pretty common in mods where people mount their graphics cards so that their waterblocks can be easily seen...

Here is a PCI-E 1x riser ribbon, for example - and well within the OP's budget.

And here's a PCI-E 1x USB 3.0 card from NewEgg for it to attach to.

edit: embedded URL failure.

OMG thanks Soo Much Miller that is exactly what i am looking for your a life saver !!!!!
//
\
\

Back