PCI-e slots dead??

rage4order

Gawd
A couple of days ago my son was playing Fortnite on my pc and it just shut down. After a few tries rebooting, I was finally able to get it back up. It happened again a couple of days later so I started troubleshooting. It will POST but will not do anything past the POST screen. I noticed my screen was jacked up when I would go into the BIOS so I figured it was something with my gpu(a GTX580 that's only a few weeks old). I swapped it out with an older card and all seemed fine until a few days later- same thing happens. Ok, so I disconnect my gpu and use the onboard graphics to which I have had no problems. My question, would all the PCI-E slots go bad?? I have tried two other slots with the same results. I'm trying to figure out if I'll need a new mobo.

Could be the 1st GPU shorted the slot and any other GPU's you stick in it won't work well after the fact.

Given that your board only has 1x PCIE (x16) slot there's not much you can do if that's the case. I don't even know if your video cards would work if you stuck them into one of the other 4x PCIE (x1) slots that you have. The other 2 long slots are PCI not PCIE slots (can't remember if that even makes a difference - PCIE vs PCI - but just saying).

Info from: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-MA770T-UD3P-rev-10#sp
  1. 1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x16 (PCIE_16)
    (The PCI Express x16 slot conforms to PCI Express 2.0 standard.)
  2. 4 x PCI Express x1 slots
  3. 2 x PCI slots

Could be the 1st GPU shorted the slot and any other GPU's you stick in it won't work well after the fact.

Given that your board only has 1x PCIE (x16) slot there's not much you can do if that's the case. I don't even know if your video cards would work if you stuck them into one of the other 4x PCIE (x1) slots that you have. The other 2 long slots are PCI not PCIE slots (can't remember if that even makes a difference - PCIE vs PCI - but just saying).

Info from: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-MA770T-UD3P-rev-10#sp
  1. 1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x16 (PCIE_16)
    (The PCI Express x16 slot conforms to PCI Express 2.0 standard.)
  2. 4 x PCI Express x1 slots
  3. 2 x PCI slots
My bad. The specs in my signature are old. I have an i5 4690k in this motherboard- https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132070. It actually has 3 PCIE slots.

Last edited:
A couple of days ago my son was playing Fortnite on my pc and it just shut down. After a few tries rebooting, I was finally able to get it back up. It happened again a couple of days later so I started troubleshooting. It will POST but will not do anything past the POST screen. I noticed my screen was jacked up when I would go into the BIOS so I figured it was something with my gpu(a GTX580 that's only a few weeks old). I swapped it out with an older card and all seemed fine until a few days later- same thing happens. Ok, so I disconnect my gpu and use the onboard graphics to which I have had no problems. My question, would all the PCI-E slots go bad?? I have tried two other slots with the same results. I'm trying to figure out if I'll need a new mobo.

I had an AM3+ mobo where the primary PCIEx16 slot went bad. (the board had 5 slots) I could get video cards working simultaneously in 2 of the other slots but only in x4 and x2 mode which I used for BOINC projects. A few weeks later it just became unstable and was hard to keep running so it was retired. I didnt look up your board but with 3 slots usually the 2nd is x8 mode capable which will make virtually no performance difference in fortnite and the 3rd slot is x4 or x2 mode most likely depending on resource allocation on the board. If it will not run from the 1st or 2nd slot it will probably be best to replace it but before you do try this: I did have an issue with one of my i7's awhile back with the PCIE slot not registering the GPU, even in BIOS. Reseating the CPU fixed it. Make sure you unplug the PC from the wall first so the caps discharge just in case. Good luck

I had an AGP slot die after a bad storm years back.

It's entirely possible that's what happened :(

GL sir!

Well I would start by reseting your bios to default, to make sure there was nothing funky in there(like an overclock). Also if using auto oc function, turn of the switch. Next maybe clean out the case of all dust and the likes. Check your cpu temps to make sure nothing there and while you are at it take a look at the voltage rails on your board to make sure they are close to what they are supposed to be (12v =12v, -12v=-12v, etc...). If you don't see any issues there try putting the 580gtx back in, clean it while out / maybe repaste the gpu if you can because the stock stuff is probably really nasty at this point. Recheck your voltages and make sure you are getting clean power / while under load. If not you might need a new PSU. If you are hitting a thermal limit then fix that.

Isn't the PCIe controller on the CPU for this chip?,If so try re-seating the CPU and heatsink.

Back