• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

PCI-E plugs on PSU

IDversusEGO

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Oct 30, 2003
Messages
5,015
I have a corsair vx450 and am thinkign of adding a 5830 or 5850 to my system. I only have one 6 pin PCIE plug and the cards I have seen require 2. Can I use an adpater or splitter or do I need a new PSU? The wattage is OK for the setup I have but if I got a new one I might get a bit bigger. Here is what I currently have...

abit ip35-e
Intel q6600
4x2gb ram (8gb total)
2 SATA drives
2 DVD-RW drives
older Xfi sound card
fan controller and 3 120mm case fans

according to the antec PSU calculator I need like 421 watts of max power.
 
I had a VX450 and it's a great psu, but to ensure the stability of your whole system I would do what I did and sell it and upgrade to a TX650 (or even a TX750). Both have two 6+2 pci-e plugs and will run any single card you can buy (except maybe a GTX 480!)...
 
thanks guys. I think I will start with a splitter while I shop for the PSU. I have been very happy with this corsair so I am sure that another one will follow. I kind of would like a modular one this time around since I have at least 3 leads stuffed behind the drive cages.
 
thanks guys. I think I will start with a splitter while I shop for the PSU. I have been very happy with this corsair so I am sure that another one will follow. I kind of would like a modular one this time around since I have at least 3 leads stuffed behind the drive cages.

Cool, let us know how you get on with the splitter. Otherwise any Corsair modular (HX range) from the HX520 upwards would be a good buy....
 
I grabbed one of these locally. I liked the idea of taking an unused lead from the PSU instead of splitting the existing one...plus its what htey had on hand, cheaper, and I am impatient. Turns out Gigabyte liked that idea too because when I opened the box on my new 5830 I saw that they had 2 of these in there with the card. LOL, whatever, it was $4 and frys has a good return policy.
 
Back
Top