PCI-E MHZ

Arnge

Limp Gawd
what is that , mine is set to an automatic 100 MHZ in the bios.

a Friend of mine says that it increases the volt going to the PCI-E slot thus increaseing its ablity to over clock is that true.

he told me if the sata and the pci-e are on the same bridge that is dangerous for the HDD.

but iin my P35-DS3R i know they ain't is it safe to mess with them ?

Do not overclock your PCIe bus. Unless you can give me a specific reason as to why you are doing it, don't do it.

i don't wanna do it , well i did increase it by 5%

but i have no idea what id does , so i wanna know what it does :D

Well, I can promise you that upping the PCI bus will NOT increase the voltage to your card.

As far as I know, it is just the frequency at which that the card interacts with the mobo.

Now for some reason, eva2000, who posted a lot about his overclocking results with the P5K Deluxe board, had been running the PCI bus at 101 or 102. I'm not sure what his logic in doing that was, or if he just experimented and was able to get a higher stable overclock with upping it a MHz or 2, but I'm running my bus at 101, because I'm running a P5K deluxe, and honestly I'm just copying blindly.

Maybe someone else knows why it may make sense to do so, but in short, don't change it at all, it's the frequency the cards were designed to operate at, and changing that too much will make them less stable I'm sure.

Logically, I would think upping the PCI bus would decrease the cards highest stable OC, but that's just me speculating.

from what i have read leaving the pci-e bus at 100 is the best choice, upping can cause instability and possible damage like any overclocking, but the way i understand it, is the the pci-e and pci bus are much more sensitive to the increases in voltage and mhz. unlike the fsb which has head room for increasing it.

this situation is why i went with the asus m2n-e mobo, even if i oc the fsb it will always keep the pci and pci-e bus at stock speeds, but i think most all new mobo's are like this.

so ?

anyone knows exactly what is that ?

You're just increasing voltage to the PCI-e controller to help it be stable when running over spec. Not any different than what you do for RAM and CPU overclocking.

so ?

anyone knows exactly what is that ?

Well, simply put, it's the speed of your PCI-E bus. This includes everything on your PCI-E bus including your hard drive controllers.

What happens is if this gets too high, this can cause corrupted data to be written on the hard drives. And that isn't a good thing.

Some people will slightly overclock the PCI-E bus because it is some how suppose to provide better stability. I've also heard this is a bug is problem with earlier BIOS or board revisions that may not be needed for most people.

One recommendation is PCI-E overclocking should be safe up to 120. But I really have never seen any reason to even go that high.

I do not know how much if any this impacts the performance of the graphics card though. It's not really mentioned when discussing video card overclocking, so probably a negligible effect at best.

Probably best left at 100.

Going higher than 103 provides *no* benefit whatsoever... The only reason to would be to increase stability of the overclock on some boards.

Congrats! You just made my sig.

LOL!:p I think the [H] Darwin awards should be made official.

OT: I've seen people suggest running the PCIE bus as high as 117:eek:, all apparently with little or no regard for the life of their hardware, I've also seen boards that don't accurately lock the PCIE bus and it increases with FSB. Wish there was a program that could report the actual PCIE bus speed.

LOL!:p I think the [H] Darwin awards should be made official.

OT: I've seen people suggest running the PCIE bus as high as 117:eek:, all apparently with little or no regard for the life of their hardware, I've also seen boards that don't accurately lock the PCIE bus and it increases with FSB. Wish there was a program that could report the actual PCIE bus speed.

nTune shows it if u have nv chipset mobo

the pcie speed shows up in my bios i set it manually to 100 just in case auto tarted spazzing around
i just did it cos i heard it was bad, so no answer from me then:)

Back