PCI-E 4x GPU bottleneck

Mastaba

Limp Gawd
I'm planning to build a config using a X9SCM-iiF mobo, which has 2*PCI-E 3.0 8x & 2*PCI-E 2.0 4x.

Does using one of the two PCI-E 2.0 4x port for the graphic card will hurt the performances ?
I plan to use 7750 or 7770 graphic card.

Just out of curiosity, if you have a 8x slots why are you thinking of using a 4x slots?

I wanted to use the 8x ports for an areca arc-1223 i8 + 10GbE NIC X540-T2, but perhaps i can put one of them in a 4x port without bottleneck?

it would if you were going more high end cards, but at the 77x0 range, i doubt you see a difference in graphics performance, but it might be better to put the areca in another x4 slot. how many hard drives are you going to have attached to that areca?

i would say put the areca on the x4 slot, the x4 slot will have 2,000 MB/s throughput and 4 red drives even in raid 0 won't saturate that. as far as the 10GbE network controller, is the rest of your network 10Gb? i have no idea if moving that one off of the x8 would cause any bandwidth issues either, but you might be alright doing that if you ever wanted crossfire with 2 single slot 77x0's.

have fun with your build!

I don't have anything 10GbE yet, the whole build is still virtual.
The four PCIE slots will be filled with:
-areca 1223 i8 (not sure)
-X540-T2
-7750 or 7770
-xonar stx (won't need super high bandwidth)

So yeah you're right, the areca is certainly the one to put into a 4x port, thanks!

i would say put the areca on the x4 slot, the x4 slot will have 2,000 MB/s throughput and 4 red drives even in raid 0 won't saturate that. as far as the 10GbE network controller, is the rest of your network 10Gb? i have no idea if moving that one off of the x8 would cause any bandwidth issues either, but you might be alright doing that if you ever wanted crossfire with 2 single slot 77x0's.

have fun with your build!

No, dont do that,

The 4x slot runs through the southbridge like on 6 and 7 series chipsets. The two 8x slots are the direct to cpu lanes. If this is a server I would relegate the video card to the 'slow' 4x slot, and then put your I/O in the fast 8x slots. Put your raid and nic in the 8x cpu slots.

Now... if this is a desktop and you want better video performance then you may consider putting the video card in an 8x slot. However unless you are actually playing games it will be fine in the 4x slot.

Also the 2.0 slots are 2.0 and the 8x slots are 3.0 (Ivy Bridge/v2 Xeons). That board also may possibly have a PLX PCIe switch on the southbridge lanes, as I believe there are 8 2.0 lanes from the southbridge, and there are 2 4x slots, so thats all 8 lanes, but then it has a couple of nic's and whatnot too.

Mhh, this is both:
multi purpose desktop config, for :
-internet browsing
-download box
-games
-photo editing

How much performance will be eaten by the use of a 4x port ?

Mhh, this is both:
multi purpose desktop config, for :
-internet browsing
-download box
-games
-photo editing

How much performance will be eaten by the use of a 4x port ?

Not too much. Honestly you should just try it out yourself each way. Start with the video card in the 4x slot and if it is too laggy then move it. If not, then leave it as is.

Why are you using that supermicro xeon board for a system like that? You would be much better off with a desktop board.

Back