PCI 64bit

’m‚³‚ñ

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Jun 20, 2003
Messages
7,300
Will 64 bit PCI cards work in normal PCI slots, or do you need a server class board with 64 bit slots? Cannot remember right now, hence why I'm asking. :)
 
Originally posted by mcryptic
depends on the card, some will some won't

The particular card I'm thinking about is a SCSI host.

LSI Logic U160, Ultra160 LVD SCSI-3, Symbios/LSI 53c1010 chipset, 64-bit PCI PnP, busmastering transfer protocol, up to 15 targets, internal connector: Mini DB68(F) SE/LVD U160, external connector: Mini DB68(F) SE/LVD U160, bare card, no cables, 3-year warranty.

That's the information for it on the website.

Thinking about upgrading my SCSI setup. I have some SCA adapters that I'd like to use.
 
i doubt that one will switch down to 32bit since its a scsi card, and usally they will list if it does both modes.
 
If the card fits in the slot (I/O voltage keying is OK) it should work, though throughput is gonna take a beating.......

B.B.S.
 
Originally posted by BlindedByScience
If the card fits in the slot (I/O voltage keying is OK) it should work, though throughput is gonna take a beating.......

B.B.S.

My current card has a maximum transfer rate that is very very small, less than quarter of what that card will do. Besides, if I can find a decent server board that does Socket A, I might be able to take advantage of the card's highest transfer rates. :)

Right now, I'm not sure if I have the money for it yet. I do have the money to get 18 gig 10k rpm drives, though, and that's what will make the most difference right now to me. :)
 
Back
Top