PCB repair?

• Thread starter Deleted member 89018
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 89018

I was installing a heatsink the other day, a Xigmatek Praeton, and when tightening the nuts on the underside of the board my hand slipped. I wound up putting a small scratch (maybe 3mm) right by the 1150 heatsink mounting hole, which happens to run right along a trace for one of the DIMM slots. It exposed what looks like the copper in the trace, beneath the top layer of PCB.

I got the system up and running and it passed memtest just fine - super lucky there - but I wanted to try and "patch" the scratch so the copper wasn't exposed. Any suggestions as to what material can be used for it / how to do it?

If you have any insulating varnish around that would be the preferred method. I have used clear nail polish for some electronics repairs in a pinch, but I have no clue about it long term viability.

While the underside of the board does not matter from a looks perspective. On surfaces like the bottom end of a pcb with all those component legs sticking out, electrical tape has a tendency to come loose unless secured by another method. The varnish or nail polish also stop the run from being exposed to the elements and reduce the chances of corrosion due to it.

I could probably get away with electrical tape, but was thinking something more permanent - as raynman mentioned, the goal is to prevent it from being exposed.

I'll see if I've got any varnish somewhere, if not, I think clear nail polish will do. I hadn't even thought of that - thanks all!

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Oho, now there's something I need to keep in the toolbox for a rainy day!

Thanks BiillR!

Back