• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

pc3200 Value Select and venice chips...how fast?

Aaron_ATX

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Oct 15, 2003
Messages
1,804
Finished the assembly on a MSI K8N Neo4-F, venice +3200, 512x2 pc3200 valueselect corsair ram, BFG 6800GT and other related hardware last night, and was fairly dissapointed in the speeds I was able to hit with the VS ram.

Seemed to top out around 215ish mhz @1t. I only had one evening for assembly and tweaking so I wasnt able to really find the ragged edge of performance for the ram. (Kid I was building it for was reaaaaaly jonesing to use it)

I believe i left the timings at 2.5 3 3 7 and didnt hit it with more than 2.75 volts.


Is this typical for these sticks?
 
Try increading your timings and/or VDIMM voltage; if it runs stable, you know its your RAM that is your bottleneck.
 
well, uh yeah, I know.

I was asking what kinda average ram speed people are getting out of VS pc3200 :p
 
ahhh, my bad, i guess i shoulda paid more attention when reading the post ;)
 
Aaron_ATX said:
, and was fairly dissapointed in the speeds I was able to hit with the VS ram.

There is a reason its call "VALUE" memory, its cheap, none overclcoking firendly..that why peoepl pay big bucks for good memory, that overclocks good. Yuo want HIgh memory? Pay the bux.. 215 to 225 is tops for value select memory..

on another note, memory speed dosnt mean shit on the althlon 64 when gamming, so run you self a 5:6 divider and up that memory...

I would shoot for 10x240 on you CPU 4x LTD, 5:6 divider, this will give you 200Mhz memory and 2.4Ghz CPU... good starting point...
 
I(illa Bee said:
There is a reason its call "VALUE" memory, its cheap, none overclcoking firendly..that why peoepl pay big bucks for good memory, that overclocks good. Yuo want HIgh memory? Pay the bux.. 215 to 225 is tops for value select memory..

on another note, memory speed dosnt mean shit on the althlon 64 when gamming, so run you self a 5:6 divider and up that memory...

I would shoot for 10x240 on you CPU 4x LTD, 5:6 divider, this will give you 200Mhz memory and 2.4Ghz CPU... good starting point...

Again...I know this....hence why I buy the good shit for my rigs. I built this for someone else who was on a tight budget. I was just looking for other people who have o/c'd with this ram in an A64 to compare my results! :eek:


Oddly enough, when he came over to pick it up last night. I had it at 10x240, 5:6 divider and cpu x4, as thats where I got the best stability/speed out of it in the small amount of time I had to tweak it :p
 
I have Corsair XMS Pro Series PC3200 ... I was able to hit much better speeds. Got to about 235Mhz at 2.5-3-3-6. The interesting thing about mine was, raising voltage didn't help at all .. in fact the board wouldn't post once I raised RAM voltage. Also dropping the timings all the way to 3-4-4-10 only got me an extra 3 or 4 Mhz.

Of course I have the K8N Neo4 Platinum that has the BIOS overclocking problems with Venice CPUs. So some of my experience may be limited by that as well. Can't post with ANY settings above 240 FSB.
 
Back
Top