pc3200, pc3500, pc3700

LancerJay

Weaksauce
I have an ASUSP4P800 865PE motherboard coming in soon and i'm trying to decide on what ram i should buy that gets the best performance on this motherboard. The max speed on the motherboard for the ram is rated ddr400. I'm thinking I should get two 256mb sticks of ram for now and get two 512mb sticks of ram later down the line. Is this a bad idea or no? And I want to know if there is any benefit of getting faster ram such as pc3500 or pc3700 as compared to the pc3200? I do want to overclock, I'm going to buy a pentium4 2.4c processor soon as well. Any help would be appreciated, I am new to the forums but I read alot on this website. Hardocp is awesome :D

getting 2 sticks of 256mb now and 512 mb later isnt a bad idea. And of course there is a benefit in getting a pc3700 instead of a pc3200. The faster the better, but since your not going to be overclocking you should stick to the pc3200 unless the price difference between that and a pc3700 isnt that much different.

I believe i said i DO want to overclock. That's part of the reason why i wanted to know whether or not if there's any benefits to 3200 and 3700 as far as overclocking/performance goes. Even if the motherboard says it's max speed for ram is pc3200 ddr400, i can still use 3700 and get full potential out of it? Thanks for the reply.

yes, you can always buy faster memory. PC3700 and up are always rated with pretty high timings (laggy ram basically) and i was told they generally cant be scaled down at lower speeds. but if you get some quality PC3500 that will pretty much garruntee that the memory will be fine at a 216FSB overclock at its rated timings, and should surely be able to go even faster.

Back