• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

PC3200 2x1G retail memory advice needed

ceramic

n00b
Joined
Jun 23, 2005
Messages
13
Here are some PC3200 Memory 2x1G from ZipZoomFly that are in my cheapo price range. Planned mobo is ASUS AN8 Premium w/Athlon 64 3000+. They are all around $100/Gig. Just looking for general recommend/avoid advice. Thanks.
----------

80098-33 Kingston KVR400X64C3A/1G 1GB DDR400 PC3200 $178 ($89 x 2)
80098-50 Kingston KVR400X64C3AK2/2G 2GB Kit DDR400 PC3200 $193
85018-12 Kingston KVR400D2N3K2/2G 2GB Kit DDR2-400 PC2-3200 $212

80098-86 Corsair VS2GBKIT400C3 2GB Kit DDR400 PC3200 Value Select $175
80097-40 Corsair TWINX2048-3200 2GB DDR400 XMS3200 w/Black Heat Spreader $223
80097-55 Corsair TWINX2048-3200C2PT 2GB Kit DDR400 XMS3200 w/Platinum Heat Spreader $231
80097-54 Corsair TWINX2048-3200C2 2GB Kit DDR400 XMS3200 w/Black Heat Spreader $238
 
I know those last two are the same ram just different colors. I am going to get some of the Platinums ones here soon. Just cause I like that color better then the black. I used noothing but corsair in my main rigs for performance, never had any problems with overclocking or the corrects volts being used etc., ect.

That's just my two cents :)
 
Well, ZipZoomFly doesn't have 1G Crucial sticks, so it's between Corsair and Kingston unless these choices are lousy, which I doubt. I've had Crucial in the past with no real problems, so that's not an issue, but both Kingston and Corsair are supposed to be pretty good too, so some of these should be acceptable.

I was hoping someone might know about the difference between PC3200 / PC2-3200 / XMS3200 and whether heat-spreaders are worth it.
 
I've always ordered from NewEgg in the past, but their prices, while very good, aren't the best right now and their shipping adds up.

I'm still a NewEgg customer, but this time I'm trying another retailer - ZipZoomFly - better prices and free shipping. And since they've got everything else I'm looking for, I'd like to just get the memory from them as well unless it is inferior quality. I don't think either Kingston or Corsair are low-quality, so I'd like some input on these choices.
 
No, neither of them are low quality, but I would go out of my way to not buy from either of them. And did last time around. I went Mushkin instead, and now think that I should have gone Crucial with 2x 1gb for only slightly more than what I paid for 2x 512.
 
well.. when it comes down to one store having stock in what i want and another one.. not having stock, i know which i'll pick, even if shipping will cost me a few dollars more than it should.
 
Oh, no doubt. I remember the first computer I built from scratch back in 1993. I had like twenty-something vendors. Whoever had what I wanted at the best price got the sale. But then NewEgg came along both cheaper nearly across the board and with shipping consolidatable, and they started getting half to two-thirds of my component purchases in one fell swoop.

Now I'm trying ZipZoomFly as their prices are cheaper than NewEgg, with free FedEx second day. This way they'll all arive together and I won't have to sit waiting for the slowest vendor for one critical component. I don't know. ZZF memory was cheaper, with no ship, and I don't know that it's a sacrifice in quality. Memory to me is pretty much a commodity now, and a pretty hard to quantify one at that.

I might have made a mistake by not getting the Crucial, but maybe not and I saved time, money and effort going ZZF..
 
hard to argue against a post like that ;)

and i think i would go with the kingston 2x1gb.. note that the last of the 3 is ddr2, so you can't use it
(if you haven't already made a decision yet :p)
 
Yeah man, good points all of them. I see what you mean, and would go Corsair in that case (yes, over Kingston).
 
That's the one I got, Eclipse, the Kingston 2x1gb. I couldn't wait on the entire system any more just to get the perfect memory. I obsessed with every other component and pretty much slacked on the memory choice. Spent the extra $15 dollars thinking maybe if they bothered to put a pair in a "matched set" that they'd pick the better ones. Probably just got suckered for two random chips in a box, but it was my concession to some kind of effort at getting the right chips.

2501, I didn't like the sound of "value select" on the cheap Corsair - more idiotic analysis on my part - and I didn't want to spend another $30 on the next Corsair grades up that I'd probably never know was better. I'll be setting up another computer in a month, so maybe I'll try the Corsair then.

What I spent the extra bucks on: videocard - MSI X800XL $300, motherboard - ASUS A8N SLI Premium $200, and a good power supply.
 
Back
Top