PC won't turn on

98EXL

Gawd
I know this is a stupid question, but I'm completely at a loss here. I have one of my many rigs that every once in awhile will not boot. It will get power for a second, then shut off. If I pull the battery on the mobo and put it back in, it works, no problem, boots like a champ. WTF is wrong with it?

if it is powered down for a day, and then brought back up, it happens. Now, when it stays on, it's fine, but this still should not happen. BTW, if it helps, it's an Intel 865PERL P4 board.

I would reseat all of the parts. I just had similar experience with my rig below while moving it into a new case and adding water. First it wouldn't boot because the waterblock mounting was a little rough and jiggled it just enough out of place. Reseat the processor, then it turned on. Then when I added the soundcard, it wouldn't boot again. When I screwed it down the back end of it came out of socket. Reseat the soundcard, all was golden.

You might check into your power supply, i had a similar issue with a machine and i replaced the board thinking it was something there but later learned when the issue didnt go away that i had a faulty PSU.

I've been down the reseating path already....and I plugged up a more beefy PSU to it, same characteristics....except pulling the battery

If the board still has a warranty they should fix it right away.

Reseller tech note from Intel.com

http://www.intel.com/cd/channel/reseller/asmo-na/eng/tech_reference/box_desktop/int_inst_info/dsk_factory_notes/193414.htm

Electrolytic Capacitor Leak on some 875 & 865 based products

Products Affected

Intel® Desktop BoardsD865GBF, D875BZL, D865GLC, D845EPI, D865PERC, D865GRH, D865PERL, D845GVSR, D865PESO, D845GLVA, D865GWV, and Intel® Entry Server Board S875WP1-E.

Issue Description

During inspection and routine cleaning, it was discovered that some capacitors had residue on their surface. The safety vent releases built up vapor, leaving a residue on the surface of the capacitor. These electrolytic capacitors are used for bulk decoupling of VCCP. No functional failures were observed. Intel believes that the capacitors will not short out and there are no safety concerns.

Corrective Action

The inspection frequency of the materials has been increased and automated to avoid this occurring again. All affected stock has been purged and restocked with new, improved parts. All future Intel desktop boards that utilize this capacitor will be manufactured using the new part.

Recommendation

Any boards that actually experience failure because of this issue may be returned under the standard RMA process.

spacer.gif
The affected boards used a series of otherwise generally regarded as good capacitors, Nichicons, Nichicon disclosed that in 2003 they fumigated/sterilized a factory due to fears of SARS, the disinfectant was believed to have affected a batch of Nichicon H(x) series, Dell and several other companies were also affected.

have you tried updating the bios , also cleaning the registry sorts most problems out.

Registry is very important and if it is not kept up to date you will get crashes like that. Just try it and clear cmos after updating the bios.

I have had a lot of asus boards and they are quite weird especially if you bought one the week it releases. I have had your board and then i changed it to a A8N32-sli and it does have alot of bios issues . I have just got use to it after changing 4 boards and have learnt a few tricks that work for it.

One other thing that will help is that disable the things which you dont use from the BIOS this will free up Interuptable Request Lines which might be causing the problems driver issues. But i think it is to do with the registry the reason for that is that why does it work with the registry it likes when the battery is refrehed and not with the registry which is the real time one.

When the computer bootss up there are system files with registry i.e.boot.ini files etc and if there is something which is not5 in the registry and is there when its trying to load up then it wont. :)

I hope this helps, you can change your mobo but the chances are it will crop up on the new one , i think its to do with the hardware and that all hardware IRQ dont change.

have you checked your ram? i had a faulty stick once and it caused the same things on my nforce4 board, maybe run some memtest86+ see whats up

@MD_Willington: Interesting....when this started happening a year ago, I never really found anything about it, nor the RMA process. It seems that if you are an end user, it is very hard to RMA with Intel, unless I am missing something.

@nooh: This is happening way before the OS loads........it doesn't even power on from time to time

@luke51087: Nope, didn't try that. I can swap some memory in it, and if it's bad, it's Kingston, so I can get that replaced.

It may be a corrupted Basic Input Output of the System.

This also plays a critical role in booting up , after that it goes to the system files.

The bios holds all the neccesary info on what the settings(voltages)

Check the rails and are they in the right range but i think it is the bios.

If you look at what is happening in your case and its that you have to clear the RealTimeClock for it to work which takes you back to the installation setting date.

can you get to Command Prompt MS-Dos ?, you can upate your bios from there.

You said that this happens sometimes , if thats the case if you can get into the GUI(grphical user interface) then install a registry cleaner like tune up utilities 2006 and clean the registry and defrag it , this has helped me so many times its unbelievable. People go wahay this is soo coooool after using it.

Also if your registry is bad did you know that when the blue screen of death come when window does its own diagnostic and tells you what is wrong , it will direct you in the wrong way if your sytem files are buggered, so it is very important if you want your pc working day in day out.

maybe I didn't make this clear enough, it's not an OS problem, so the ideas of the registry being fucked is not even close. It won't boot, within the first half second of power being applied, it's strictly hardware, or maybe the BIOS....but the BIOS is current, and has been for months.

I have the same problem, usually happens once a month or something

I just unplug the power cable for a few sec then plug back in, it works ;)

You sure the bios is current ? It has slipped back on mine so i wouldnt be surprised if it wasnt.

If your just shuts off about 3-5 seconds after you hit the power button I am having the same problem. I just RMAd my mobo and it is still doing it. I will have a new PSU here tomorrow or tuesday and I will update and let you know if that solved it. I have done everything possible as for the remounting of the cpu, cards, ram, and obviously the mobo. Only thing left that could be causing it is the psu, so im hoping this fixes it.

This happens to me if I power my pc off at all, and the only way to get it to turn back on is to pop out the bios battery, it boots right up after that and is fine.

98EXL said:
P21 I think...
Try an old BIOS but i do think this is a BIOS problem especially with you having to mess around with the RTC and maybe a compatibiaty issue.

Also freeing the IRQs(Interuptable Request Lines) will make things easy and point you to the right direction. This means every component is given a line and there will be many lines you dont use and you can switch these off and it will break down the odds of what it can be.

With troubleshooting you have to break all the possible things and there is no real easy shortcut way.

I had a sound card which give me a problem because i had a on board and a seperate XFI card and they clashed.

Could it be the Vcore of the CPU is too much in the bios ?

nooh said:
Try an old BIOS but i do think this is a BIOS problem especially with you having to mess around with the RTC and maybe a compatibiaty issue.

Also freeing the IRQs(Interuptable Request Lines) will make things easy and point you to the right direction. This means every component is given a line and there will be many lines you dont use and you can switch these off and it will break down the odds of what it can be.

With troubleshooting you have to break all the possible things and there is no real easy shortcut way.

I had a sound card which give me a problem because i had a on board and a seperate XFI card and they clashed.

Could it be the Vcore of the CPU is too much in the bios ?

I'll have to check the Vcore when I get home next week, watching my buddies dog this week. THanks for the idea though

hmm I had this problem and it was due to my PSU. I swapped my PSU for a beefier one and it doesnt happen.

If you tried a new PSU, then all i can think of is a short somewhere, maybe check the little metal mobo stand offs that you connect the mobo to the case with.

Maybe try just the min components needed for boot up, like just power for mobo, cpu and video card + 1 HD.

If it were thermal shut down, i dont belive it would get hot enough, fast enough to power down in a few seconds...unless maybe the HSF is not touching the cpu at all. Also, some mobo that have rpm monitoring in bios might need you to either 1) connect a fan or a RPM line from a fan to the CPU Fan header or 2) turn off the RPM monitoring feature in bios. Sometimes it has a cut off that if the fan does not start up at a certain RPM it would turn off.

I dunno if you have this is your bios, or if its your exact problem. Its worth a check though, couldnt hurt =)

Back