PC won't start, tips for troubleshooting?

oneils

Limp Gawd
Hi there, last night I put my windows 7 machine to sleep. Today I cannot get it to start. It is not just a problem booting, but it looks like it is an issue with power.

I've reseated the power cable going to the power supply and I have switched the power switch on the psu multiple times. Nothing.

Fans don't turn on, and hard drives don't cycle up.

I'm thinking it is either a dead power supply or a problem with the on switch that is on the face of the pc. I was having problems with my USB ports that are on the face of the PC so maybe I have to check that they are properly connected to the motherboard.

Other than that how can I test the power supply? I don't have another psu lying around to swap out to confirm that it is the issue.

Any tips?

If it matters the system specs are:

Seasonic M-12 600 watt psu
Evga 460 gtx
8 gb DDR 3 1600 ram
intel i2500k CPU (3.3 ghz)
Asus P8P67Pro motherboard
Silverstone fortress FT02 (in error I originally wrote TJ09) case

UPDATE: Fixed the problem. Front case ports/switches were not properly connected to the motherboard. I had to reseat that connection. Works fine now.

Last edited:
Just a few things you might have already tried, but in case you haven't:

Have you tried holding the power button for like 7 to 10 seconds?

Have you disconnected power, reset the bios, then reconnected power?

Just a few things you might have already tried, but in case you haven't:

Have you tried holding the power button for like 7 to 10 seconds?

Have you disconnected power, reset the bios, then reconnected power?

Hey there, thanks for the tips. Just a question. How do I reset the bios? Take the motherboard battery out?

Fightingfi, thanks for the tips. I'm beat now, had a long week. I'll try these out tomorrow.

Bumping the thread just to say that I figured out what was wrong.

It was the connection from the front of my pc case to the motherboard. It had been knocked loose. So the power switch on the case just wasn't working. That also explains the problems I was having with the front usb ports.

Thanks for the help guys.

Back