• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

PC won't start after being off...

d34dly

2[H]4U
Joined
Aug 3, 2003
Messages
2,342
Ok so this happened once ata LAN party and now that I have changed dorms it has happened again. Ever since I installed My new mobo and proc (MSI K8n Neo 2 Plat and 3200 939 90nm) this has happened.

I'll do my best to explain this. I push power and everything powers on and the HD activity light blinks once and nothing happens. No POST no anything but everything is powered. The only way I can turn it off now is to kill power to the PSU. If I do this over and over again it will eventually start and POST and work just fine. Could be 5 times, 1 time or 30 times. I have no clue what it's doing. I have tried resetting the CMOS unplugging drives, everything. Help?!?!
 
So basically you are saying sometimes when you cut the power on, it will start to post, but no display correct?

You say it doesn't POST, but do you hear the normal beep for when it boots up.

First I would make sure that the video card is setted correlty and efficently powered, also even try a backup one.

If I am way off mark, curious to know what PSU you are running and what components you have.
 
Ummm it's a 400w Enermax PSU, 6800GT, previous CPU and Mobo, 1 gig pc4000, Raptor 36gig, maxtor 200gig.

No the display never even comes up. I hear no beep at all. After I try numerous times to start it it will eventually start normally. Only happens when shut completely off.
 
d34dly said:
Ummm it's a 400w Enermax PSU, 6800GT, previous CPU and Mobo, 1 gig pc4000, Raptor 36gig, maxtor 200gig.

No the display never even comes up. I hear no beep at all. After I try numerous times to start it it will eventually start normally. Only happens when shut completely off.

Lets see if I understand correctly...

You press power, everything begins to power up, but you get no display, unless you go through numerous reboots till it finally kicks on?

I would check your rails on your PSU as well as your video card, RAM could also be a factor in strange instability like this. If everything seems to be powering on correctly, first thing I would test out is the RAM. I am guessing you have two 512 sticks and nothing to really replace that high end RAM out just to test. So I would try just one stick a time and see if you get some of the problems to go away. Also make sure your CPU and Chipset fans are properly working, I know it sounds dumb, but just to make sure you have all your bases covered
 
This really sounds like a PSU issue. I have had computers at work do things similar to this and it seams as though the PSU just can supply enough juice to power up the system all the time.
 
Back
Top