PC won't post.

lodingi

2[H]4U
Turned on my daughter's pc this morning to run updates. The pc powers on, but doesn't post. This computer has been running flawlessly for 3 years. I hope you can help me figure this out. Thanks.

Here's the specs;

- Abit IP35-E mobo
- Q6600 @ 3.4 stable
- 4 gig Crucial Balistix DDR2 800
- BFG 8800GT 512
- WD500 GB Blue

Here's what I've done;

- confirmed the 8800GT is working.
- confirmed all ram sticks are working.
- tried another psu to rule out current psu.
- cleared the cmos.
- changed the battery.
- checked motherboard for blown capacitors. (Didn't see any)

What's next?

Well, the original Abit ip35-E and the Crucial Balistix ram were both nothing but trouble in their day (I know, I owned'em both).......w/ the Q6600, you're overclocking....so it's no uncommon for an older machine to loose it's overclock....back off on the overclock?

I would love to revert to stock. I have cleared my cmos. Unfortunately, I can't get to the post screen.

Remove all the RAM, then power up the board.
If the RAM is the cause of the problem, you will get repeated beeps. Make sure the PC speaker connector is hooked up to the speaker jumper on the i/o jumper area.

Dead RAM *can* cause a board to neither post nor beep.

Remove all the RAM, then power up the board.
If the RAM is the cause of the problem, you will get repeated beeps. Make sure the PC speaker connector is hooked up to the speaker jumper on the i/o jumper area.

Dead RAM *can* cause a board to neither post nor beep.

You nailed it. I removed the ram and turned on the pc. Nothing. No beeps, no post. I installed each stick one at a time, and viola, there was a bum stick. Weird. I swore I tried this earlier today. I must have the order I installed the ram.

Well, looks like I'm going to submit an rma for the fifth time with these sticks. What a bummer.

Thanks for your help.

Back