PC won't boot, frozen on POST - MSI G41m-P26.

techtips

Gawd
Hey guys, my close friends pc won't boot past the bios loading screen. This happened randomly recently and when he powers on the computer, it just sits at the screen 'locked up'.

He is 2 hours away and I will be driving there on Saturday to help him. I so far had him remove the memory and boot the pc, unplug the pc and drain the capacitors via the power button. Nothing works.

He has a Logitech wireless keyboard so I will bring a wired usb keyboard to see if that could be causing it but I am not sure.

Pressing the keyboard short cut for the BIOS screen doesn't work. Fresh batteries are in the keyboard also.

Would you guys have any suggestions on what could be causing this or how to get the pc to load? The motherboard isn't terribly old and suites his needs just fine so I'd like to do my best to get it working for him again.

Thank you :)

Just using the power button while unplugged won't reset the bios. He needs to remove the battery or if the unit has a bios reset button, he could use that. I would have him remove/unplug all unnecessary equipment and just have the CPU, memory and video plugged in to see if he can get into the bios.

Just using the power button while unplugged won't reset the bios. He needs to remove the battery or if the unit has a bios reset button, he could use that. I would have him remove/unplug all unnecessary equipment and just have the CPU, memory and video plugged in to see if he can get into the bios.
When you have him do this, ask him to reseat his video card too. This happened to me once before in my older build and it turned out I must have knee'd my computer hard enough to make the video card loose enough to prevent it from booting. I did not get the beeps to signify a video problem, either.

Back