240-Pin DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) SDRAM

Video Card
BFG 8800 GTS OC2 640MB

Hard Drive
Seagate Barracuda 500GB SATA

Optical Drive
LITEON DVD Burner – SATA

Guys,

My machine will not boot into the OS, it started a few weeks ago and it seems to be getting worse. Before I just hit the reset button and the machine booted up fine. Now I have to pull the power to get the computer to boot into the OS. Here is what happens, the vidcard fans spins full blast and the led on my LCD monitor shows red (no input signal). And when I finally reboot successfully the ASUS boot screen shows: CPU overclocking failed ! I'm just booting not overclocking anything. Temps in the case are normal, I ran RAM tests, HD tests, nothing was flagged. I suspect something is going on with the power, could it be the PSU has voltage output problems or is it the mobo itself.
What do you think guys?

Are you overclocking?
I'm just booting not overclocking anything.
I read this as: you weren't trying to overclock just boot, but that does not indicate if you did overclock before. Because if you did overclock before but not this particular time, a prior overclock can fail and not boot.

My checking method :

Boot to DOS , check ea. component using a diag software .

If all turn to be good - Reinstall the OS on another hdd .

I know you ran memory tests, but take out one stick of RAM and try to reboot again. If it doesn't boot, take out another stick. I know it sounds weird, but try it anyways. It worked for me.

if that dont work, unplug the hard drive and dvd and see if it boots to bios. i would suspect the psu unit, but thats just me. also make sure the video card is the only thing plugged in on that cable so it does not have to share directly.

Guys,
Thanks for all your suggestions, I'll try all of them eventually. Also I forgot to mention that when I boot successfully I get real bad artifacting (long vertical lines) on the screen. When I reboot again they're gone.

last resort, try the steps for a non-posting system in the basic troubleshooting guide sticky thread. ;)

One more note on this problem, I've tried all of the trouble shooting steps (RAM, HD) did not find any issues. The interesting part is, when I unplug the machine from power and plug it back in, the boot sequence is normal (boots into OS). When I don't unplug it leave the power connected over night I get the same issues described in my initial post.
What is that all about????

Yeah, I'm thinking more and more in that direction myself. Maybe I'll just buy another PSU and put it in my little box and hope for the best.:)

Back