pc wakes up every time i plug/unplug something from the power strip

knoximator

n00b
i've been noticing a strange behavior from my pc.
whenever it's in sleep mode, and i plug or unplug something ( say a fan or light) from the same power strip the pc is connected to, it wakes up from sleep mode.

i've tried to look in power settings but i realy don't what causes it to wake.
mouse and lan wake up have been disabled.

rig:
amd athlon x2 3800+
corsair 2*1024 ddr2
asus m2a-vm hdmi m-board
windows vista.

Have you tried a different power strip. It may be a problem in that rather than the PC. Hardware side of things is something you need to rule out first.

maybe check your bios settings for "start on power loss"

if something is wonky with the powerbar it might be shorting and the computer thinks power was loss... thus starting the machine up.

if something is wonky with the powerbar it might be shorting and the computer thinks power was loss... thus starting the machine up.
That was my guess also.
You might try connecting the powerstrip to your UPS, (you have a UPS don't you?). :)

That!

Alternatively, check that your plugging/unplugging of stuff isn't somehow causing vibrations to the desk which is being interpreted by the mouse as a movement.

thanks everybody for the replies.
turns out that the power strip was faulty, and every time i plugged/unplugged something
there would be a small electrical spike.
changed it, and now everything is normal

Back