pc tech support assistance

CHDA80

Limp Gawd
alright this one is not an quick/easy fix, since its been about 2 months now ive been living with this problem. it all started about a week after i did my usual every 6-8 month XP format and reinstall to keep everything running nice. so here is the issue.

i will be using the computer, high load, no load, idle, general use (doesnt matter what im doing). then it will just randomly shut off! no blue screen, no warning messages.. just OFF! i could tell from the lack of screen notifications/nothing in the event manager its a hardware issue that is causing it to not even allow windows to write to the screen/event logs.

so far ive tried a few things to no avail (listed below). maybe someone here can suggest some more options that i may not have thought to try yet.

1. swapped out the PSU (didnt work so i put the old one back in)
2. took out my A8N-SLI and replaced it with an A8N-E (RMA'd the old one and they gave me a new one)
3. flipped the ram (move ram from slot 1A to 2A and 2A to 1A)
4. ran memtest+ for hours (no errors)
5. ran system with only one ram stick (still doing it)
6. underclocked my CPU in the bios (still doing it)
7. boosted voltage settings in bios (you guessed it, still doing it)
8. swapped my BFG 7800GTX with a XFX 8600GT (still doing it but not as much)

ive order a new CPU from newegg that im going to try it with and see what happens. if that is the case im going to RMA my current CPU since its better then the one i ordered and put it back in when i get it back.

if anyone has any advise i will gladly try it. i dont want to throw anymore cash into this system if i dont have to. id much rather use that money to save for a quad core system once the market on them relaxes and the hardware bugs get ironed out!

EDIT1:
woops i forgot to mention i swapped out the motherboard, hehe. i was using this cpu fan, but i put the stock on from amd on. i didnt really start watching the heat of my system too much before the problems started since it was running fine for over a year fine. there are 6 case fans in my system, not including the GPU/CPU/PSU fans (4 more for them)

EDIT2:
ive also done a fresh windows xp pro install a few days ago which did not help

Perhaps the problem is noise on the mains.
Can you stick the PC on a mains filter or preferably an UPS to test?

Perhaps the problem is noise on the mains.
Can you stick the PC on a mains filter or preferably an UPS to test?

i had it on a power strip. ive moved it to be directly in the wall. never had a problem for the last 1.5 years with it on the strip but its worth a shot. ill post again if this doesnt work

If you done all you've said and tried a different power supply that pretty much narrows it down to a motherboard problem or possibly a power source problem. Try replacing your motherboard

If you done all you've said and tried a different power supply that pretty much narrows it down to a motherboard problem or possibly a power source problem. Try replacing your motherboard

lol. try the hardest possible suggestion.

Sounds like a typical heat issue to me. When a component over heats, off goes the computer. No BSODs or anything, just a hard restart. If you have any cheap way up upping the cooling (take off the side pannel and shoot it with a regular fan) I would try that.

Aside from that, I guess I blame the mobo. Try swapping it out.

lol. try the hardest possible suggestion.

Sounds like a typical heat issue to me. When a component over heats, off goes the computer. No BSODs or anything, just a hard restart. If you have any cheap way up upping the cooling (take off the side pannel and shoot it with a regular fan) I would try that.

Aside from that, I guess I blame the mobo. Try swapping it out.

woops i forgot to mention i swapped out the motherboard, hehe. i was using this cpu fan, but i put the stock on from amd on. i didnt really start watching the heat of my system too much before the problems started since it was running fine for over a year fine. there are 6 case fans in my system, not including the GPU/CPU/PSU fans (4 more for them)

p.s. i have edited the first post with some more information

Back