PC surround system for gaming

SoftHard

n00b
Hi guys, Iam looking for some audio improvement, searching, my head will explode soon,too many possibilities.
My budget is up to cca 600$. Sorry I know my options too wide but I will listen and hope your opinions will help me to decide.

Currently using:
Creative gigaworks T3 2.1 system in the front +cheap (~40$) Genius 2.0 in the back

Environment and purpose:
Front speakers are/will be like 70-80 cm in front of me and speakers on the back approximately 2m.
Use mainly for gaming, I also watch movies and listen music but not best source (music from youtube etc.,I have few flacs but listen them very rarely)

Option 1-AV Receiver+speakers or A/V receiver set with speakers via HDMI (something like Onkyo HT-S5805)
This was my initial plan but Iam using 1400p 144Hz monitor so cant pass video through receiver and I read there are issues using display port for video and hdmi for audio (multiple monitors, mouse dissappearing,...).
Other option would be to buy sound card with DD live and connect via optical but I could also have problem to find place on my table for receiver (not sure If printer can be put on the top of receiver) and heard optical also not best solution
So option 1 seems as no go for me currently but Iam "listening"

Option 2- Sound Blaste AE5 (heard it has good DAC)+active 5.1 system via analog
This one seems like good option
https://www.teufelaudio.com/pc/concept-e-450-digital-5-1-set-p15407.html
but Iam afraid about that subwoofer, that thing is huge
s01.png
, it had to consume big part of system price, was there any left for speakers?
Edit: I see this one has even USB input, so not sure If better to use AE5 or sound card in this system

Other possibility
https://www.amazon.com/Edifier-S760...?keywords=Edifier+S760D&qid=1569255606&sr=8-1
or Edifier S550 Encore

Option 3 - Sound Blaste AE5+4.0/4.1 combination of active speakers
No center speaker here, I believe wont miss for gaming? Also one less repro/cable from my table isnt bad although in can be hidden under my display (AD27QD) no problem, disadvantage is separated (front and rear) volume control.

If you recommend this option Iam open for suggestions
Front speakers could be Klipsch R-41PM or Klipsch R-14PM 2.0 speakers (I fell in love with Klipsch little bit,never heard them,but I like how they look and I like what I read)
Will I miss the subwoofer? Are these waste of money for gaming?
I suppose rear speakers doesnt have to be so high quality so I could combine Klipsch with some cheaper speakers? (for sure I dont mean 40$ I currnetly have)

How about Audio engine A2+ for front speakers, here I could even afford to use them front&rear If its good to have same speakers front and rear but again will I miss the SW? Again here can be connected active SW but Iam afraid that would be above my budget and also one more cable for powering it.

So better to use 2.1 system like Edifier S350DB and combine with some rear speakers?

Thanks all in advance!!!

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Option 1-AV Receiver+speakers or A/V receiver set with speakers via HDMI (something like Onkyo HT-S5805)
This was my initial plan but Iam using 1400p 144Hz monitor so cant pass video through receiver and I read there are issues using display port for video and hdmi for audio (multiple monitors, mouse dissappearing,...).
Other option would be to buy sound card with DD live and connect via optical but I could also have problem to find place on my table for receiver (not sure If printer can be put on the top of receiver) and heard optical also not best solution
So option 1 seems as no go for me currently but Iam "listening"
http://dualmonitortool.sourceforge.net/

I run DisplayPort to my monitor and use HDMI from my GPU to an AVR for audio, I use Dual Monitor Tools to lock the mouse to my primary screen. Everything seems to stay on my primary screen. Occasionally DMT doesn't seem to activate the lock, but you can create a hotkey combo to enable the lock so it's a convenient tool.

Thank you for mouse lock tool, I hear about it little bit. Are there really no issues with this solution please? I heard one person had problem to run some games as game saw two monitors. Also I heard GPU running in higher power state (fan spin faster even in idle) If you connect DisplayPort+HDMI

Thank you for mouse lock tool, I hear about it little bit. Are there really no issues with this solution please? I heard one person had problem to run some games as game saw two monitors. Also I heard GPU running in higher power state (fan spin faster even in idle) If you connect DisplayPort+HDMI
I've not personally run into any issues with this. Some games that let you pick a display will show the other display, but if you set your main display in Windows then the game should default to the primary display. I am surprised that I've not had games jump over to the phantom display. If something does go over to the phantom display, disconnect the HDMI to regain control of that window or application, then reconnect the HDMI.

I wonder if the people with high usage were mirroring their display. I don't mirror, I just set the HDMI as an extended desktop and I set its resolution to 800x600, then use DMT to lock the mouse away from it.

Whats the construction of these receivers? Can I put it under 11kg printer?
Most AV receivers are very sturdy and could support 11kg, but they also put off a lot of heat from the top, so it might not be a good idea to sit something directly on top of it.

1. Get a small 1080P monitor and put it to the side or on top of your main monitor
2. Connect the HDMI output from the receiver to the HDMI input on your gaming monitor - this will let you switch over if you really need to take care of something "stuck" on the second screen.

Whats the construction of these receivers? Can I put it under 11kg printer?

Usually you need 4-6" of clearance above the AVR. A modified Expedit Ikea shelf can work well to hold an AVR and a Printer. You have to remove some of the dividers so you have some double-wide shelves....

Back