PC Started freezing every 5-30 seconds

dennismv

n00b
Joined
Jun 27, 2005
Messages
38
All of a sudden my PC started freezing every so often.

So after some poking I figured to check my temperatures. I got SpeedFan, which showed 88F. BIOS said: ~40F. My RAM utilization was 4Gb out of 8Gb, CPU Utilization around 10-20%.

I have a stock cooler, on my P8P67 EVO. I ordered a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO just in case.

I downloaded RealTemp: that showed 38F, while SpeedFan still showed 70-88F.

Right now my PC is not freezing but I am concerned. Thinking about re-OSing, but my OS install is new, under 1 month old. I did install some new programs recently, so not sure if those are to blame.

I've noticed that I was playing YouTube videos, using Internet Explorer, clicking around incessantly, and using Adobe Photoshop when it was happening. Possibly my video card driver may be to blame as well.

So I will probably install the new cooler when it gets here, but I am not entirely sure what was going on. Do I re-OS & test for errant programs, or try shutting uninstalling/shutting down some programs, when it's happening, or just wait?

RealTemp.png

SpeedFan2.png
 
Your CPU Core temperatures are fine. The numbers that RealTemp displays are the important ones and they are fine. SpeedFan reads a lot of different sensors and sometimes if it doesn't read a sensor correctly it will report a sky high number. The CPU 84C is wrong so ignore it. It's impossible for the CPU sensor to be that hot if the core temperatures are not hot at all. The core temperature sensors are calibrated by Intel and located on the hottest spots on the core.

Bad video drivers are probably to blame so try updating that first.
 
Yeah if you can re-install the OS, that will tell you if it is an software issue.
 
Back
Top