PC Slowness due to old CPU?

cadd

n00b
I'm starting to notice some real performance issues with my PC. I just did a recent HD format and went to Yahoo to check out some random news and clicked on the first link:

Pakistan social media star Baloch killed 'by brother'

This article proceeded to cause my computer to "stop" while I was attempting to scroll and read. It eventually loaded fully, but it literally "paused" where nothing happened with my mouse scroll for a few seconds.

Is this due to my computer being old? I mean, I do have a 8 year old processor at this point. I am able to watch Netflix though, so it's weird that a random article website is lagging my computer.

My computer specs:
-Windows 7
-250 GB SSD HD
-Pentium Dual-Core CPU E6300 @ 2.8 GHz
-4 GB Ram
-Nvidia GT 610

It may not be the article but the advertisements in the article are what causes many websites to run poorly. You could run an adblocker and see how things perform. If you're only using the PC for web and Netflix the CPU should be enough especially if you add some adblocking software. I also find that Chrome with Adblock works far superior to IE in almost every way.

Are you using Internet Explorer, by any chance?

The only browser that craps out even on ridiculously overpowered hardware is IE, for me. Fresh installs, old installs, Win7, Win8/8.1 or Win 10.

It may not be the article but the advertisements in the article are what causes many websites to run poorly. You could run an adblocker and see how things perform. If you're only using the PC for web and Netflix the CPU should be enough especially if you add some adblocking software. I also find that Chrome with Adblock works far superior to IE in almost every way.

I second this, as well. Chrome is the most stable browser I've used, and yes, I also use Adblock. With your system's specs, there's plenty of power.

Agreed that it's more likely a browser issue than a hardware issue. If you just installed windows 7 and didn't do any updates first, you might even still be using Internet Explorer 8 (since that is what 7 comes with).

Still though, you can get a Q6600 for <$25 on eBay these days. That would double your core count, and in most cases a system that has a E6300 will be compatible with a Q6600 also. I've done this many times, in some cases taking single-core celeron systems sitting in front of trash dumpsters, upgrading them to a quad-core CPU like the Q6600, and selling them as functional refurbished office systems.

yeah that page acts goofy on my system too. I also get it on msn, kat and a few other sites. its something to do with the ads. that's with IE11. sometimes if its something I need ill use edge but otherwise I just close the page and say fuck it.

I use Chrome and I use the AdBlock Chrome extension. It seems to have gotten better after I tweaked AdBlock a little.

Overall, for sites that have a lot of ads that slow your computer down, is that a CPU issue? Would getting more RAM help?

I also noticed when I use Microsoft Excel when I have a complex spreadsheet open doing a lot of calculations, it says something about processing using 2 cores and has a % of it going up to 100%. To make that "processing" faster, I would assume a faster CPU would make a world of difference?

I use Chrome and I use the AdBlock Chrome extension. It seems to have gotten better after I tweaked AdBlock a little.

Overall, for sites that have a lot of ads that slow your computer down, is that a CPU issue? Would getting more RAM help?

I also noticed when I use Microsoft Excel when I have a complex spreadsheet open doing a lot of calculations, it says something about processing using 2 cores and has a % of it going up to 100%. To make that "processing" faster, I would assume a faster CPU would make a world of difference?

For Excel and complex spreadsheets the faster the system, the better.

We do some of this where I work and here is what we found.

1. CPU matters. The faster the better.
2. Office 64-bit is leaps and bounds faster than 32-bit. - Your key should work for either.
3. RAM speed makes a big difference.

On an i7 Quad core based system we saw single plots with huge data sets go down from 3-4 minutes per plot to 3 seconds just by upping the RAM to DDR3-1600 and by moving to 64-bit Office.

Previously I had moved the user from a dual core to the quad core laptop and it made a difference as well.

Chrome is very memory intensive. You should upgrade to at least 8GB.
You do have to check your board though, because some of them from your generation were still DDR2 which will cost more than DDR3.

Back