• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

PC RIP? Won't post

techbob

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jun 26, 2009
Messages
364
Several months back I sent in my Asus M3A78-EM for repair. Since the day I got it 2+ years ago two of the SATA ports were dead, and the internal sound died, so I wanted to get it fixed while under warranty. So I sent it in and they replaced a bunch of caps and it was working 100%.

Last night I powered up the PC on and it would not post. The fans spin - CPU and case fan and I think there was power to the hard drives. The PS/2 keyboard CAPS light didn't work and the led on the mouse didn't light up.

I assume the MB bit the dust - or could it be the CPU? I'll bread board it tonight but wondering based on this info what you guys think.

Thanks!
 
I've had 4 ASUS boards that exhibit the no POST issue. I'm betting it's the board.
 
I would think its the power supply or motherboard. Just try unplugging the 24 pin and 4/8 pin to the motherboard and replugging them. I put in a new power supply for a friend a while back and it worked at my house when tested but when he tried it at his house no post. I had to make a house call and after testing just about every other part all I did was unplug the power to the mobo and replug it. Its been working fine for the last 3 months. But then again this was putting a new part into a system. It didn't just stop posting out of nowhere. But couldn't hurt to try.
 
I have a spare PSU so after plugging/unplugging the power connectors I'll try that.

I still think a bad mb is the likely culprit since the cpu and case fans spin but the keyboard caps/numlock lights don't go on, and no light on mouse.
 
Last night I checked the psu connectors on the mb and they seemed secure, but I pushed them in just in case. I noticed one of the locks on the ddr2 memory stick wasn't in locked position and pushed the memory in. It didn't click since it was already in the slot.

The PC posted, I did some scheduled backups and I left it powered on all night - seems to be working when I checked it this morning. Unless I post otherwise (crossing my fingers), all is good with the pc.
 
Back
Top