• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

PC Reycling Programs..

ShredderFan

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jul 2, 2006
Messages
133
How much can you normally recycle a PC for, considering no matter the age, they mostly probably get melted down for new parts?

Also, does anyone have one company they would recommend in Jersey that pays the highest price and is trust worthy?

Thanks
 
I'm not from NY but I've never known a company to pay you for handing in your PC to be recycled.
 
After you format the hard drive, put an ad on craigslist and ask $5 for it. You might get lucky and someone will come to your house, take the machine, and you'll make money :)

As the other poster noted, recycling is effectively a "you pay them to do it" business.
 
Hmm, OK. Let me rephrase that... How about in store credit? I noticed that Costco has a service like that which just got started....

I wouldn't trust Craig's List as far as I could virtually throw it. I tried too ditch something on there once, and was bombarded by about 20 idiotic morons responding :).
 
I suppose you can get store credit at certain shops but from what I recall of those programs they are offered by PC mfg's not the store themselfs as such have to be compaq / hp / or whatever to get the credit, and have to buy a pc from them at the same time.

Basically if you want some money sell it, if it's not worth anything for someone to buy it then I really doubt you will find a business that will give you money for it.
 
All the pc recycling I know of is either you give it to them for free, or they make you pay them to recycle it. I highly doubt you'll find a place that pays you for pc. Pc's are not like aluminum cans, they just can't be melted down, theres stuff that is extremely toxic when melted and must be removed, its a much more labor intensive process than recycling say an aluminum can, which costs the recycler more money.
 
If the PC is still in working order, no matter how old or crappy the specs are, there is someone out there who can use it, like an underprivileged school kid to word process their homework. See if you can find someone like that to donate it to. :)

In our neighborhood, all you have to do is put something out on the curb and it'll be gone within half an hour. Heck, the last monitor my husband put out, one of the ice cream truck drivers stopped and nabbed it before he even got back in the house. :p
 
How much can you normally recycle a PC for, considering no matter the age, they mostly probably get melted down for new parts?

Also, does anyone have one company they would recommend in Jersey that pays the highest price and is trust worthy?

Thanks

What part of Jersey? I would be willing to give a token amount for a decent comps (~1ghz).
 
If the PC is still in working order, no matter how old or crappy the specs are, there is someone out there who can use it, like an underprivileged school kid to word process their homework. See if you can find someone like that to donate it to. :)

In our neighborhood, all you have to do is put something out on the curb and it'll be gone within half an hour. Heck, the last monitor my husband put out, one of the ice cream truck drivers stopped and nabbed it before he even got back in the house. :p

Kind of off the subject but I always thought you were a man? (Unless you are? :eek:)
 
In this case, Northern, near Paramus.

I still haven't convinced the Parents that they need a new PC just yet....they claim that this one is good, yet they complain that it's too slow or not working right for them. I may just surprise them and they'll wonder why they didn't get a new one sooner :).
 
We had a bunch of computers and monitors that we needed to get rid of at my dad's work a few weeks back. A lot of it was ANCIENT, like 11" or something monitors. We had JUST sold a monitor on EBay for $3.26 (good 17" CRT), so we decided to say screw trying to sell anything anymore.

I spent quite a bit of time researching all the options for recycling the computers or getting rid of them in the most responsible fashion.

After much debate, we came to a conclusion.

The most effective way to dispose of the systes was...

Throw one or two in the dumpster a week, til they are all gone. The garbage company took it every time :)
 
Hmm, OK. Let me rephrase that... How about in store credit? I noticed that Costco has a service like that which just got started....

Assuming it's like the programs several other computer boxmarts have run, they'll at most offer a pittence. And if they don't see any parts that they can salvage for repair not even that.

Assuming it's not too old to be of any use at all, ebay's probably your best bet.
 
Back
Top