PC Restarting during gaming

TheFlayedMan

Limp Gawd
My PC is restarting during gaming every so often. I think it's the PSU's over power protection kicking in maybe? I recently upgraded the graphics card to a Vega 56. It was kind of an impulse buy when I saw a 2nd hand one for a nice price. I didn't really consider the power requirements at the time.

Still it seems like 660W should be enough for a 3570K, two SSDs, 3 140mm fans, a Z77 board and one graphics card. Oh and 2 fans with low noise adapters on the CPU heatsink.

What do you guys think?

Vegas have been known to spike voltages that trip Seasonic PSUs's overprotection. I've read about it on the PRIME and Focus models. Since you seem to have an old XP/XP2 based unit, I'm not sure if that is also affected.

A quick link that probably also describes your problem but a google on that will return some hits.

It's really probably an AMD thing. RX480s were also initially drawing more power from the PCIE connectors than max. Seasonic however seems to be issuing RMA units for those affected.

I don't think it's isolated to AMD. I have a Seasonic do it to me as well, and I was running nVidia.

Oh ok I thought it was just the psu wasn't beefy enough. I checked the box for the Vega and it says minimum recommended is 750W. The strange thing is I've managed to fix the issue just by turning off AA and AF in the games. I can't seem to tell the difference with them on or off either lol

that 100% sounds like a power issue, especially if lowering the GPU load by disabling AA/AF stops the symptoms. like previous posters said, GPUs cause current spikes that can and will mess with power supplies if the output is already marginal.
I had an Opteron 6344 system with a GTX 295 awhile back that had the same restarting issue... sometimes when the GPU was barely loaded, confusingly. Switching from a 650W to 850W PSU fixed it.

that 100% sounds like a power issue, especially if lowering the GPU load by disabling AA/AF stops the symptoms. like previous posters said, GPUs cause current spikes that can and will mess with power supplies if the output is already marginal.
I had an Opteron 6344 system with a GTX 295 awhile back that had the same restarting issue... sometimes when the GPU was barely loaded, confusingly. Switching from a 650W to 850W PSU fixed it.

I'm not so sure now. In the thread linked above by mda someone with a similar problem replaced their PSU with a 1KW Seasonic model and the problem persisted. The site owner tested a Vega 64 with some fancy gear and recorded a 2ms 85A power spike.

I did the Seasonic Wattage Calculator for my system and the results were:
psu usage calc results.jpg

Upgrade your PSU. Sure sounds like that's the limitation. Or swap that Vega 64 out for a NVidia 1080 or similar.

it's generally a good idea to overspec power supply for high-end GPUs, even if the numbers say a lower rating should be enough.

case in point, my aforementioned rig with the 12C Piledriver & GTX 295- it ran fine under heavy video rendering load, even worked fine in SLI-friendly games that fully used both GPU on the card. And yet, I got random crashes under light load that I couldn't diagnose. Upgrading the PSU fixed it. Sounds counterintuitive but it worked- and I'm far from the only one with a similar experience.

Anecdotally, I'm currently running a Vega 64 + Ryzen 1600 on a Thermaltake 850W unit (I think it might even be the same one I bought to feed the GTX 295 years ago) and it's rock-solid.

Last edited:
There is a Corsair HX1000 1000W Platinum on sale so thinking about ordering it. I've never owned a Corsair PSU before but the reviews look pretty good.

Back