PC powers on - immediately shuts down

Dexter007

Limp Gawd
My HTPC (see sig) had shut down sometime yesterday. When I attempted to power it back on, it powered on for about a second and then immediately shut down. The power LED on the mobo is lit when the power cable is connected, so I know it's getting at least some power. I checked all cables and everything seemed to be connected fine. Removed one stick of RAM, same result. Tried the other stick of RAM, same result. Tried a stick of RAM from a different system (known to be working), same result. Took the mobo battery out and waited a while, put it back in and tried powering on again, same result. Unplugged everything except the essentials, same result at first. Checked all cables again and then when powering on it stayed on (CPU fan kept running). Plugged things in one-by-one and attempted power on after each - PC kept running.

So I'm thinking at this point it was just a cable issue. Plugged the system back up to the TV and it booted up fine. PC fell asleep overnight - this morning when trying to wake it, the power light lit up for a second then immediately powered off. I hit the power button, powers on for a sec then shuts down. I cut the power, waited a few seconds, turned back on and then the PC booted up. As of right now it's running fine (streamed some videos on it, listening to Pandora, etc.).

My thought is the power supply might be having issues. I haven't gone into the BIOS yet to check voltage levels, etc. The PSU is only 2-3 years old. Anyone have any thoughts?

I'd start with the power supply. That and the motherboard are the most likely causes given what you're tried already. The last time I had random shutdowns it was a bad PSU.

Sounds like a PSU and checking voltages via the BIOS wont tell you anything useful.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll probably keep an eye out for deals on a replacement PSU. I saw Corsair now has a modular version of the CX430...would be nice for a HTPC with limited space.

Back