PC Power Issues?

Svengali

Limp Gawd
(This is a repost, just in case, my idea is its related to PSU..but who knows..)

From a friend:

": I put my PC together, have all of the retail drivers for the hardware installed, havent updated windows. It reboots instead of shutting down, and it does it in a weird way. From a powered down state, I hit the power button and it powers up--then powers down--then powers up again and boots. From windows, I tell it to shut down and it shuts down, powers up, powers down, then powers back up and reboots"

She also adds: "but when I unplug power to the CPU, theres no powerup/down fluxuations"
Any ideas?

Her build is:
Antec 900
Q6600
Abit IP35
2gb Corsair XMS Ram ddr2-800
evga 8800GTS 320
thermaltake 700w psu (cable management)
Windows XP

(She just built the PC yesterday)

just too back up shoelace, it is completely a bios problem, a simple reflash will fix it

Did she try updating the bios? I have an Abit IB9 and it has a bug that does something similar when powering on.

Power on -> turns on for a second -> power goes off -> powers on and boots

It's a known bug with the IB9 (Abit said it might be fixable with a bios patch). It's possible the IP35 suffers from similar issues?

Edit...
It seems this motherboard is documented to have this bug as well.
"The IP35 and the IP35-E have a double reboot on each restart which is well documented. Abit is aware of the issue and are looking at a BIOS upgrade solution."

Back