• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

PC Power & cooling 510 Express Died :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

mota

2[H]4U
Joined
Mar 8, 2000
Messages
2,672
Fucker took out my brand new mobo and and new cpu as well. Really dissappointed in this unit to say the least. Just plugging it into my ups with it not hooked to anything - it blows the breaker in the ups. What a POS.

edit: it was running fine for 2 weeks and then it shit the bed.
 
does warranty protect the stuff it takes out with it? sorry to hear man.
 
shade said:
does warranty protect the stuff it takes out with it? sorry to hear man.

haha only for surge bars.

Sorry to hear about the PS taking out other stuff, but with PCP&C's rep, I'd almost suspect something dying in your MB and taking the CPU and PS out :eek:
 
Viperoni said:
haha only for surge bars.

Sorry to hear about the PS taking out other stuff, but with PCP&C's rep, I'd almost suspect something dying in your MB and taking the CPU and PS out :eek:

Ever try to get one of those companies to actually pay? To date Monster Cable is the only one I know for a fact who will not only pay but give you a new Power Bar as well.

Shade: Read the warranty on just about any computer part you own. No one takes any responsibility for anyone else’s losses. It’s just the way it is. In fact most warranties read like that.

That is the main reason everyone should carry homeowner’s insurance, or apartment dweller’s insurance. Sometimes it can be helpful.
 
that's crazy

I guess just like the lottery, the odds are high, but somebody has to "win"

good luck, I am interested to see how PC P&C handles this
 
No chance the voltage switch got moved is there? It's happened before.
 
I had an Antec bite the dust on me before, I wasn't around when it happened but it refuses to power up even to this day. Luckily for me the PSU was the only thing that died.
 
What UPS is it? If it is from somebody like APC you probably have "connected equipment coverage" and since you cannot really determine what failed and what cause what, you should really call your UPS company and tell them that if blew and that now your computer's powersupply etc is dead.

Some of them have like $100,000 connected equipment protection. It's worth a shot.
 
BillR said:
No chance the voltage switch got moved is there? It's happened before.

there isnt one, it auto recognizes and accepts 90 to 264 VAC @ 47-63Hz
(about as wide a range as youll find)
but nweibley's idea has alot of merit ;)
 
Ice Czar said:
there isnt one, it auto recognizes and accepts 90 to 264 VAC @ 47-63Hz
(about as wide a range as youll find)
but nweibley's idea has alot of merit ;)

Twas just a thought

Yup, very good point.
 
To further elaborate I have an APC BR1500 + external battery and it actually bit the dust from having my Abit AV8 cycle the power so frequently, but when I called to RMA it, the very first question the rep had after I told her that it went out with a bang was "Is there any sign at all that it damaged any equipment connected to it? With this unit you are covered up to $x in connected equipment and we apoligize and would be more than happy to replace anything that may have failed as a result of the UPS' failure."

Of course, mine didn't take any of my equipment out, but considering how forthcoming APC was with trying to replace anything damaged, I certainly think you have a pretty good shot at getting your equipment replaced.

I am also curious as far as how you know it was the PCP&C unit that died first... if your UPS is not rated pretty stoutly or there was any respectable surge draw from your PSU it is very likely that the UPS (especially if it is pretty cheap) could not handle the load and short-circuited.

Forgive my rather poor typing also please, I am on a laptop and I hate typing on laptop keyboards :)
 
mota said:
Just plugging it into my ups with it not hooked to anything - it blows the breaker in the ups. .


PSU's are designed to have a load on them at all times.. if you simply plug it it, and do the wire trick on the ATX connector to make it turn on, you will more than likely blow the PSU..

You have to have some kind of load on it, to test the PSU with no components plugged in.. this is why they sell PSU testers, since they not only do the wire trick, but put a small load on the system, so it doesn't mess up the PSU..

Granted with yours, it was running previously for a couple of weeks, so it's not like you tested it first, screwed it up, and then used it.. But as far as blowing out the breaker, that could be why..

Call PCP&C up.. they'll be more than happy to help out with this, as they have great customer service.. it's rare that one of their PSU's takes a dive, but they'll probably overnight one to you, to make up for it.. not sure about the other components.. Can't remeber if they're warranty would cover anything like that..
 
Man, sorry to hear about your luck. Its odd that mine did the same thing 2 weeks ago, except it didnt take out any of my components (knock on wood). Same model and everything. I wonder if they had a bad batch or something..... sn33430713xx

However, after my initial call with their tech support, they issued an RMA for me and the replacement was delivered yesterday.
 
Bullitt said:
Man, sorry to hear about your luck. Its odd that mine did the same thing 2 weeks ago, except it didnt take out any of my components (knock on wood). Same model and everything. I wonder if they had a bad batch or something..... sn33430713xx

However, after my initial call with their tech support, they issued an RMA for me and the replacement was delivered yesterday.

that PSU seems like overkill if it is for the system in your sig
 
That better? :p

Its still kinda overkill for the current system, but when NF4-sli comes out, I wanted to have enough juice to run something decent.


the point was to see if the other poster's S/N was similar to perhaps identify a trend...


Oh, mine came in the mail yesterday, they did not send back the 24pin-20pin ATX converter (They told me to send back everything.....) I dont think the DFI has enough clearance to plug the 24 pin in directly. I'm kinda miffed about that. :mad:
 
When exactly did you purchase the PSU? from who?

I hate to say it but I have had atleast half a dozen 510's RMAed in less than 2 months :(
 
O2Flow said:
When exactly did you purchase the PSU? from who?

I hate to say it but I have had atleast half a dozen 510's RMAed in less than 2 months :(

bad batch? that makes me nervous
 
express or deluxe?

I have a couple brand new deluxes that are working fine right now (hadem for about a week)
 
computerpro3 said:
express or deluxe?

I have a couple brand new deluxes that are working fine right now (hadem for about a week)

Mine were all Deluxe
 
Mine was an Express. I didnt purchase it thru PCP&C, I got it thru ExcaliburPC b/c I was buying a case and the shipping charges for the PSU after the case were like, nil.

Mine was purchased 2nd week of November.
 
My express was purchased at frozencpu. It will arrive at their door today for replacement. I've not decided if I will use or sell the new one.

I called PCP&C about what happened to my psu and they would not talk to me about it because I didn't buy it directly from them. The woman on the phone was very snippy and seemed stressed out.

I bought a new mobo, another DFI nF3 250GB.

My 3400+ is at amd for testing.
 
I really don't see why ppl buy them from other places, rather than direct from PCP&C. You don't save any money, and it's nice to get something straight from the manufacturer.. less hassles as you are finding out..
 
True, but they already sold the unit, they already have their money from a distributor. It makes little sense to me (from a customer relations standpoint) that just because they do not get their full markup they made me jump through hoops to get an RMA.

I assumed the unit would be the most bullet-proof part of my system. Buying from the manufacturer because its more easier to get the product fixed did not enter my mind. I did not go for this brand/model because I thought it would fail. I bought it because it was the best.

However, its fixed, it works, I'm pleased to have it in my rig.
 
true, it shouldn't matter, since they made their loot..

but good to hear that it's up now.. It's uncommon that the 510's have problems.. sucks that you had to be one of the few..
 
Turns out buying my 510 express from frozencpu wasn't so bad after all. They sent me a brand new 510 express psu and a gift certificate for $99.95.
 
nice.. FrozenCPU kicks ass..

The other day, I got a Swiftech MCX-6400V in the mail for my new A64 I should be getting for xmas. Got a Panaflo 80mm with it.. The fan had one of the fins broken off, so I sent an email. They just sent out another fan the next day. Didn't even want the old one.. I've been buying my mods from them for awhile, and they're always first rate.. Just wish they had some better prices on their cases sometimes..
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top