PC Power & colling 510 ATX-Deluxe - should I buy

conscript

2[H]4U
Ok, getting ready to put together a monster gaming rig. I'm going to be buying in pieces, as I'm waiting for the next gen of video cards to come out, and well as hoping the 939 socket hits the market sometime in the next couple months. So I figured I'd get the easy stuff out of the way, namely PS and Case. Now I am not one to cheap out on H/W, especially something as important as a PS. I've heard PP&C was the best, but never owned one myself. Any thoughts here? Also, I've read conflicting reviews on this power supply saying it was noisy, and some saying it was not audible. The alternative is the 550W Antec for half the price, but again, the power supply is something that should last me a while, providing that PCI-E mobos don't need a different type, or BTX takes off earlier than I expect it to. Would really like to hear all your thoughts / Thx

I ordered one a few days ago. Probably overkill. I mean $190.00 for a PSU is a little nuts, but Its supposed to be the best one out there, and its got the SATA power connectors that I need , hell that alone makes it worth the price :)

No doubt it's the best. The 425 deluxe could of handled you fine though I'm willing to bet, but hey it's your money. :)

Overkill. Even with the new video cards, etc, you'll never need that for a single processor system

If you are looking for future proof hardware, DO NOT BUY A NON-EPS12V PSU!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 All systems, BTX or not, are going to be using the new ATX2.3 power supply standard, which uses a 24 pin ATX connector, that is the same as on current EPS12V PSUs, instead of the usual ATX 2.03 20 pin connector. PCI Express is specified as the primary reason for the new switch, if you read the standards document. http://www.formfactors.org

Originally posted by Vertigo Acid
If you are looking for future proof hardware, DO NOT BUY A NON-EPS12V PSU!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 All systems, BTX or not, are going to be using the new ATX2.3 power supply standard, which uses a 24 pin ATX connector, that is the same as on current EPS12V PSUs, instead of the usual ATX 2.03 20 pin connector. PCI Express is specified as the primary reason for the new switch, if you read the standards document. http://www.formfactors.org

OK, then I am completely PS illiterate. I see that PP&C offers cpus with 24 pin connectors as well, but they have like 5 different types. Any idea which one I should get?

I assume you're referring to the XE, but then this would exactly be future proof, as I couldn't use it on any current setups?

http://www.pcpowercooling.com/products/power_supplies/highperformance_d/turbocools/index_hp_atx.htm

Trust me ...........I went from an Antec 550 to the 425 and its rock solid and all rails are perfroming better than my 550 ever did

Originally posted by conscript
OK, then I am completely PS illiterate. I see that PP&C offers cpus with 24 pin connectors as well, but they have like 5 different types. Any idea which one I should get?

More than likely your current mobo requires a 20pin

I have the PCP&C 510 AG which is EPS12V w\ the AGP Pro power adapter

Id agree they are the best PSUs goin
18th chart down

but currently if your running an EPS12V your also probably running a dual processor

$200 is cheap insurance for a workstation costing over $5000 :p
(K8W dual 244s 4GB PC2700 PNY Quadro FX3000 ect)

Originally posted by jacuzz1
Trust me ...........I went from an Antec 550 to the 425 and its rock solid and all rails are perfroming better than my 550 ever did

Yea but did that make any difference in overclocking or stability?

Originally posted by Ice Czar
see link above ;)

The volt's are very nice, but did it actually make a difference in the stability of the system? Very well could have, not argueing against PCP&C, just wondering does it really make a difference in the real world and not on just graphs.

those are logged graphs from a multimeter with the PSU under a dynamic load, so yes, real world stability

I dont over clock my workstation :p

but considering poor power regulation is the leading cause of fried RAM
(after improper ESD precautions during installation)
that rail stability is worth $1200 to me personally
ECC aint cheap

Originally posted by EarthwormJim
Yea but did that make any difference in overclocking or stability?

It makesa huge difference. My True power 550 would fluctuate on the 12v rail 11.5 - 11.89 but 425 is rock solid @ 12.03V .
You decide.

By the way the sleeved wires and included SATA power interface is a nice touch as well and machine runs cooler

Go for it.

and for those of you enjoying the sleeved PSU wires, you can thank me. (the one they custom built for me back in Oct 01 was the first they ever sleeved; they started doing that after mine :D )

Back