PC performance

ronandownes

Weaksauce
Joined
Feb 23, 2008
Messages
72
Where to start troubleshooting.

I am on the best specced machine I ever put together but it is crawling.

I even designed it to be a workstation and limited whart sw was allowd on it.

PS cs4, lumapix and photomechanic are now the main players but I is not functional it is so slow.

vista ultimate
8 gigs Ram
QC6600
Asus P5kc

Amy advice on where to start very welcome.
 
More details about my computer Print this page
Component Details Subscore Base score
Processor
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @
2.40GHz 5.7 5.0
Determined by
lowest subscore
Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB 5.0
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT 5.9
Gaming graphics 2302 MB Total available graphics memory 5.4
Primary hard disk 52GB Free (114GB Total) 5.3
Windows Vista (TM) Ultimate
System
Manufacturer System manufacturer
Model P5KC
Total amount of system memory 8.00 GB RAM
System type 64-bit operating system
Number of processor cores 4
Storage
Total size of hard disk(s) 2329 GB
Disk partition (C:) 52 GB Free (114 GB Total)
Disk partition (D:) 96 GB Free (148 GB Total)
Disk partition (F:) 297 GB Free (932 GB Total)
Media drive (G:) CD/DVD
Disk partition (H:) 492 GB Free (932 GB Total)
Disk partition (I:) 76 GB Free (96 GB Total)
Disk partition (J:) 107 GB Free (107 GB Total)
Media drive (M:) CD/DVDCD/DVD
Media drive (N:) CD/DVDCD/DVDCD/DVD
Media drive (O:) CD/DVDCD/DVDCD/DVDCD/DVD
Media drive (P:) CD/DVDCD/DVDCD/DVDCD/DVDCD/DVD
Media drive (Q:) CD/DVDCD/DVDCD/DVDCD/DVDCD/DVDCD/DVD
Media drive (R:) CD/DVDCD/DVDCD/DVDCD/DVDCD/DVDCD/DVDCD/DVD
Graphics
Display adapter type NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT
Total available graphics memory 2302 MB
Dedicated graphics memory 256 MB
Dedicated system memory 0 MB
Shared system memory 2046 MB
Display adapter driver version 7.15.11.8122
Primary monitor resolution 2560x1600
Secondary monitor resolution 1360x768
DirectX version DirectX 10
Network
Network Adapter Attansic L1 Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000Base-T Controller
Network Adapter Microsoft Tun Miniport Adapter
Print this page
Performance Information and Tools Page 1 of 1
file://C:\Users\ronan\AppData\Local\Temp\PrintPreview.hta 10/04/2009
 
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz 5.7 5.0
Determined bylowest subscore
Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB 5.0
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT 5.9
Gaming graphics 2302 MB Total available graphics memory 5.4
Primary hard disk 52GB Free (114GB Total) 5.3

This is your windows index scores, correct? Now, I know they're not really something to base much of anything on, but I would expect that CPU to pull in more than a 5.0 -- or is it a 5.7 (which it should probably easily nail a 5.9). I don't have this CPU, but I would expect it to get a better score...

You have 8GB of RAM that is getting a 5.0 as well. What is the RAM configuration (number of sticks) and is it running with the proper timings?

The 8600GT isn't necessarily a performance card, but it should do ok. It looks like it's using quite a bit of your system RAM, too...

Code:
Display adapter type NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT
Total available graphics memory 2302 MB
Dedicated graphics memory 256 MB
Dedicated system memory 0 MB
Shared system memory 2046 MB

I'm not sure if it holds onto this 2GB, or just grabs it as it needs it... in fact, I don't even know if there is a performance hit for using it this way, but if your RAM is that slow, it is probably going to slow all your video operations down when it gets above 256mb of RAM...
 
Okay,
as the system is relatively new can I begin to tweak it without reloading OS?

And if so what specific infoo or advice are you giving me on the RAM.

Furthermore I have a GC in shipping with 1Gig ram.

Do you think it will sort most things out.

I am designing wedding albums in lumpix to the full 2560 X1600 res and it is just way too slow.

tell me of any tests I need to run t get the timmings on the Ram.

Ronan
 
tell me of any tests I need to run t get the timmings on the Ram.

You will need to find the timings of your RAM from the manufacturer and make sure they are set properly in your BIOS. I'm definitely not the person to help you with that! It might be a good idea to run CPUz and post screenshots of the CPU and Memory configurations... it's possible you're just underclocking your machine and thats causing the problem.

If you're working with photos, I don't think that graphics card is going to help too much. I would expect more of your performance to be in disk speed and memory.

I meant to ask -- whats the deal with all the drives and partitions, especially the CD/DVD drives?
 
I meant to ask -- whats the deal with all the drives and partitions, especially the CD/DVD drives?


x2

that would drive me batshit crazy. I find 3 partitions is enough to start forgetting where stuff is stored, any more than that and I'd probably get angry on a regualr basis lol
 
Back
Top