• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

PC Painting & Dis-Assembly question

-=WooDWorKeR420=-

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jun 29, 2006
Messages
392
Im looking to paint the inside of my Thermaltake Tsunami flat black "I know black has been done to death, I just think it would look sharp"( I just havnt seen any other colour options that would look as good) Anyway I have read many articles here and on other forums where I see people drilling out rivets, and completely disassembling the case, is this totally necessary?

Is it still possible to get a high quality finish without tearing the whole tower apart? And if taking the tower apart is "a must" then you would need a tool to re-rivet the tower after painting, and are these tools affordable and available anywhere?
Just figured if I was gonna take the time to Paint this thing, I might as well do it right!

Thanks
~WooD
 
taking the tower appart might not be required, but its a very good idea. It's basicly the only way you are going to get to every spot in/on the case... also, if there is a more complex structure to what you are painting, there is an increased chance for you to get clumping, drips and runs in the paint... having each piece out will also help you big time in doing the prep sanding and then the finishing sanding.. and if you are planning to clear coat you will want to completely disassemble the case because this stuff runs waaaay worse then paint or primer...

Over all, it is worth the time to take the case appart. it will make the job easier and end up looking better.

as far as rivits, you need a rivit gun, squeeze ones arnt expensive as i recall and you should be able to snag them at homedepot/lowes... in my case ive actually used 6 36 and 4 40 screw/washer/nuts to reassemble this lets me take it appart at will as in my main computer i tinker more then i should. With luck that will chance once i get the new computer finished and running.
 
MrSlacker said:
You will not get a good finish if you do not take it apart because there are a LOT of hard to get to places. Corners are also super hard if you dont take it apart. I recomend thi u read this guide to help u take it apart http://www.boxgods.com/dept/modding/index.php?Action=Article&ID=201

Great, thanks good article, very informative.
Thank to both of you, thats pretty much all I wanted/needed to know, bring on the modding goodness :D
 
Back
Top