PC&P 750 Silencer

dextr3k

Gawd
Ran into an odd problem with my roommate's new power supply.

We hooked it up, everything boots fine and runs fine, except when hes loaded up a 3d application like crysis, the PSU starts to emit a high pitched whine. Immediately goes away when we shut the game off.

As a troubleshooting option, I brought my system down (Currently powered by a Corsair 520HX) and we hooked his psu to my system, and I cant even boot up off of it, none of the SATA ports send enough power to my Western Digital to boot the OS up. BIOS detects the drive as active, but it just won't boot, saying theres no bootable device. Plug my Corsair back up and everything is spiffy.

His specs:
Q9550
GTX280 1gb
Asus P5Q-Pro
4gigs of OCZ DDR2-800
1 Harddrive
1 DVD-rom
PC&P 750W Silencer

Nothing is overclocked, no crashes, no errors, no problems, except that very dangerous sounding whine from it. I got him to try to RMA it, but I'm just curious if anyone has any insight to this.

Is the high pitched whine from the fan? Did you contact the PC&P? How long have you had the PSU?

Brand new psu, as in we just bought it last week.
Can't tell as far as the source of the whine, but it doesnt sound like the fan's high rev sound. More like....a loud electrical whine, not sure how to explain it, but I know what the fan's sound is, and that does not sound like it.

I dont really want to swap them, because of the quad core and GTX280, I dont think my 520HX will be able power it, because to test it it would have to be under load, aka Crysis.

I dont really want to swap them, because of the quad core and GTX280, I dont think my 520HX will be able power it, because to test it it would have to be under load, aka Crysis.

Then just call PC P&C and explain it to their tech...their customer service has always been awesome to me.

It's coil whine. Nothing harmful, but it can be quite annoying. It is the PSU, so if it's irritating enough to not be tolerable, call up PCP&P and get it replaced.

Coil whine eh....

Yeah we've already started the RMA process, because its new, we are just going to go through our retailer instead of PC&P. Thanks for the help guys.

There is no risk to you in doing so. A 520HX will power that system no problem.. hell I have a more loaded system running on a 500W Silverstone.

Hi!

I'm having the same problem with the same power supply. It's a loud high pitch whine when the GPU cores start folding and get under load. By chance did the OP buy his power supply from ebay?

Are you certain it's the PSU and not your GPU? Coil whine can come from both. There's nothing technically 'wrong' with the PSU -- it is providing power just fine. However, if you find it annoying contact PC Power & Cooling to see about a replacement.

I'm fairly certain it's the PSU. I have four GPU cores and as I load each one with work the noise becomes more and more. If it was just the GPU's the decibel's wouldn't increases. It's very loud also it drowns out the case fans.

Just got the PSU back from RMA.

....and its doing the exact same thing. We are certain its the PSU because I took it out of the box and moved the videocard away from the psu, and its definately originating from the psu. I'm going to run some more tests and put some more/less load on the system. But this is definately annoying because it appears to happen on a specific set of hardware.

I talked with Pc power and cooling about the RMA they said that they'd repair it and send it out. Perhaps you should have asked for a new unit.

i've had this PSU since it first debuted. i'm surprised u can hear ANYTHING beyond the fans! this PSU is the loudest component in my rig. if there is coil noise, i'm definitely not hearing it.

i've had this PSU since it first debuted. i'm surprised u can hear ANYTHING beyond the fans! this PSU is the loudest component in my rig. if there is coil noise, i'm definitely not hearing it.

Are you trying to get 80A out of it or something? Every time I see a comment like this (from an owner, no less) I wonder what's going on.

I had this PSU. I never heard it, even when I was running 5x120 low speed Yate Loons, watercooling, and /nothing/ else. It was all but dead silent even at full load with an overclocked quadcore and 2 overclocked 8000GTXs. I can't have been /that/ lucky that I got the only magic quiet one.

Are you trying to get 80A out of it or something? Every time I see a comment like this (from an owner, no less) I wonder what's going on.

I had this PSU. I never heard it, even when I was running 5x120 low speed Yate Loons, watercooling, and /nothing/ else. It was all but dead silent even at full load with an overclocked quadcore and 2 overclocked 8000GTXs. I can't have been /that/ lucky that I got the only magic quiet one.

I'm running two quad cores, two 9800 gx2's, and a power hungry motherboard (2 northbridges) on mine so i can see why it would squeal.

I'm running two quad cores, two 9800 gx2's, and a power hungry motherboard (2 northbridges) on mine so i can see why it would squeal.

... you should be using a 1000HX or similar. 750 watts simply isn't enough for that system. You're running that PSU to the ragged edge every time the system loads.

... you should be using a 1000HX or similar. 750 watts simply isn't enough for that system. You're running that PSU to the ragged edge every time the system loads.

It's under load 100% of the time ;). It folds. I probably will buy a 1k W I thought it would be enough but then I decided to add the second 9800 gx2.
Voltages are stable though.

It's under load 100% of the time ;). It folds. I probably will buy a 1k W I thought it would be enough but then I decided to add the second 9800 gx2.
Voltages are stable though.

Doesn't matter. It's a great quality supply and can probably put out more than it's rated for by a good bit, but that's not good for it. At all. In fact, after days, even weeks of being pushed that hard I don't know I'd ever trust it with a substantial load again. You're killing that PSU.

*sigh*

you've guilted* me into buying a new psu a new corsair 1k should be here tomorrow. jeez I wouldn't want to commit power supply premeditated murder.

*you didn't really guilt me into it but the loud squeal coming from the psu is getting annoying.

Back