Pc Over Heating

amped

Weaksauce
okay here it goes.. i have a P4 2.66 oc'd to 3.0 on AIR heatsink and fan= thermaltake spark 7+ w/ artic silver 5.. fans: 2 front intake | 1 side intake | 1 backouttake | 1 top outtake... powersupply has 2 fans 1 inside tkaing out the back and 1 taking in from the case temps while idle.. 87*F case and 104*F cpu

over heating is like when i accidentally jammed my HSF and ran 3dmark... temp rosed upto 78C (172F) and pc shuts down

amped said:
well under load it runs at 123*F

50*C...

Well I'm not to familiar with the max temp of the intel cpu's but I have a little checklist of things to check if you care to take a boo at it:
Check the following for overheating or perceived overheating:

- Is the heatsink correctly installed ?
--> Verify it is correctly installed.

- Is the heatsink filled with dust and crud ?
--> Clean with compressed air in a can.

- Is the heatsink fan operating ?
--> Replace defective fan with similar or better unit.

- Is the heatsink adequate for that application/CPU ?
--> Verify it meet the requirements for the CPU being used.
--> RETAIL heatsink? May require lapping and better TIM.

- Is thermal interface material used between heatsink and cpu ?
--> Verify it is used, and is applied according to the manufacturers guidelines.

- Is the TIM pad cover removed from heatsink before installation, if using supplied TIM pad ?
--> Remove the cover before installation, failure to do so will insulate the cpu from the heatsink.

- Is there adequate airflow or case ventialation ?
--> Verify airflow, add case fans if required.

- Is the Vcore set higher than specified by the manufacturer ?
--> Verify the Vcore is set to the manufacturers specification in the mainboards bios.

- Is the temperature read via the internal temperature diode. Is the tremperature read via the socket thermistor ?
--> Temperatures read at the diode can and will be higher than an external reading.

- Is the temperature sensor properly calibrated ?
--> Several board have this problem, check manufacturers bios revision history for calibration fix.

- Outside temperature high ?
--> If the external temperature is high, then the case fans will be drawing in hot air, especially during summer months.

Later

MD

Back