PC not POSTing after installing Gigabyte 980 Ti

t1337Dude

Limp Gawd
Hello, I'm having a bit of an issue with my new Gigabyte 980 Ti. I installed it and I'm having difficulty getting anything to appear on my screen. After multiple restarts, I've managed to get into the BIOS. The first time getting into the BIOS I tried modifying some settings to see if it helped, but after restarting I was back at a lack of POST. The 2nd time I tried modifying nothing (left BIOS at default) and I still can't get a consistent post.

Is my videocard faulty or is my PSU not able to keep up? I have a Corsair 650watt, and I've read everywhere that I slightly surpass the power requirements (600w required), so I figure I should at least be able to boot. But I'm uncertain, because I'm cutting it fairly close. Perhaps my older GA X58A UD3R + i7 930 is less efficient than CPUs and mobos of today, meaning I require more power than the usual modern system?

My first guess would be the PSU. Back in the 6800 days I had a 6800gt and forgot to plug in the extra power pins which resulted in very similar issues. That said it could be a lemon card too. If you have a PSU tester or another PSU test that first.

what model of PSU you have? and how old it is?. im just thinking in PSU. are the BIOS of the motherboard updated?

My BIOS is flashed to the latest version available. There's really no point in testing the PSU - it works, I've been using a GTX 980 with it since September. This is the model http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139012

It's either my PSU is insufficient, or the GPU doesn't work. I meet the minimum power requirements, but just barely. I have a lot of fans (5 140MM fans, 1 120MM fan), an H240-X AOI cooler, and a SSD+HDD combo...so perhaps I have too many things in my PC requiring too much power. It's possible I was cutting it close with my GTX 980, but the 980 Ti could require more power than I can give it. It's odd that I can boot...to the Windows logo at least, when my overclock is turned off. It gives me an error about having an inaccessible boot device...as if my hard drive isn't getting power or something.

I put my old GPU back in and everything works just fine. Guess I'll have to shop around for a PSU.

Can anybody clarify if a more modern i7 system uses significantly less power than a first-generation i7 system? According to the power requirements given with the card, I should just barely be within range...but if the setup they used to calculate that requirement was more modern, then perhaps it had more power efficient parts in it, than that means my PC exceeds their requirement.

I'm going to bite the bullet and order a new PSU.

Last edited:
Did you try reset the bios ?

Try disconnect all the fans and hhd to see if it boots

Or.. try the gpu power adapters that come in the box

Did you try reset the bios ?

Try disconnect all the fans and hhd to see if it boots

Or.. try the gpu power adapters that come in the box

Had to reset BIOS just to reach it, but can only pass POST once every dozen reboots.

Disconnecting stuff doesn't really help me because I'll need that stuff anyways. It either works the way I need it to, or it doesn't and I need to buy a new PSU (which I did).

I ordered myself this with one day shipping, hopefully will be here soon.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...10&cm_re=EVGA_G2_1000W-_-17-438-010-_-Product

yeah... sounds a bit weird, I'd try to test the graphics card on other system before ordering a psu, your system shouldn't use more than 400w at full load

yeah... sounds a bit weird, I'd try to test the graphics card on other system before ordering a psu, your system shouldn't use more than 400w at full load

If that were the case, wouldn't the PSU requirements for the 980 Ti be 400W and not 600W? What about the +12V rail? My H650X only has 54A available, and isn't that being shared between my drives, all my fans, and my water pump - with the Galaxy G1 980 Ti probably taking 40A of that? And there is no other system. I only have a PC with a 650w PSU. The PSU works with a GTX 980 and 5850, both which have drastically less PSU requirements than the 980 Ti. Once my new PSU arrives, I can then test it. The 650W is about 6 years old. I wouldn't be surprised if it was too weak to keep up anymore. The odds of my PSU being too weak is much greater than the odds of having received a dud GPU that causes my PC to barely boot.

Last edited:
If that were the case, wouldn't the PSU requirements for the 980 Ti be 400W and not 600W? What about the +12V rail? My H650X only has 54A available, and isn't that being shared between my drives, all my fans, and my water pump - with the Galaxy G1 980 Ti probably taking 40A of that? And there is no other system. I only have a PC with a 650w PSU. The PSU works with a GTX 980 and 5850, both which have drastically less PSU requirements than the 980 Ti. Once my new PSU arrives, I can then test it. The 650W is about 6 years old. I wouldn't be surprised if it was too weak to keep up anymore. The odds of my PSU being too weak is much greater than the odds of having received a dud GPU that causes my PC to barely boot.

6 years old.. you got the answer there bud, Gigabyte G1 Is power hungry due to the high Factory Overclock.. with an optimal state PSU you should be perfect, but taking into consideration your CPU are probably heavy overclocked and the factory overclock of the card, the PSU probably just can't handle that.. a lot of capacitor Aging involved there.

short

either in the card (DOA) or in a cable, new modular cable you haven't used before??

I got a G1 last week Friday, I had similar issues but I couldn't even get to the bios. I'm curious to know if the new PSU fixes it.

Due to efficiency you want your PSU to be using around 80% of its rated power. 80% of 600W is 480W, so NVIDIA is leaving headroom in the rating to clear themselves of potential liability.

6 years old.. you got the answer there bud, Gigabyte G1 Is power hungry due to the high Factory Overclock.. with an optimal state PSU you should be perfect, but taking into consideration your CPU are probably heavy overclocked and the factory overclock of the card, the PSU probably just can't handle that.. a lot of capacitor Aging involved there.
Indeed. The aging of capacitors and other components in the power supply will lower its efficiency over time. A quality power supply should be good for 10-15 years of life under optimal conditions, but it's never going to be as efficient as the day it was first powered on. A typical PC gamer will probably get 7-10 years of life out of a power supply before age-related failure.

I think it's safe to say that the Gigabyte G1 card is going to be using 100W more than reference. If the efficiency of your power supply has fallen just 10% over 6 years then it's obvious you're going to be having issues.

I got a G1 last week Friday, I had similar issues but I couldn't even get to the bios. I'm curious to know if the new PSU fixes it.

Getting into the BIOS is really telling for me. If I couldn't get my PC to POST at all, I would probably be quicker to assume my card is a lemon. Is your PSU under 700W and old?

850w and about four years old, it was a faulty card though, testing the ports on the back only one monitor would load initialize but when I would switch the DVI ports the monitors would flip flop and the other one would not initialize.

FYI I had this exact problem and right before I took apart my system I realized I had a power plug for my sound card plugged in incorrectly. My power supply correctly shut itself down before any damage was done. I'm not necessarily saying that this is the same here, but I was already lamenting having to replace my power supply. As I said it probably doesn't apply here, but for someone else down the line who searches and finds this thread, don't necessarily rule out the simple causes. RAM not seated, etc.

Back