PC not fully going into standby?

mikecoscia

Limp Gawd
I had some issues with standby and my monitor not posting and video, but new ATi drivers fixed that. However I needed to reformat for some other issues and now standby no longer works.

When I hit the sleep button the monitor shuts down, the fans still are running, I can hear the HDD going every once in awhile. Previously standby shut everything down and my power light would blink. I'm not getting that.

When I hit any key or move my mouse the screen pops on, and I am at the logon screen for windows. Not sure why since there is only one account. When it worked previously there was no login screen, it went straight to my desktop. Also the mouse can now resume the computer. It was not able to do this when standby was working before that reformat. Maybe that is the issue?

Anyone have suggestions, because I really want to save some power while I'm at work and sleeping and I don't want to fully shut the PC off. My hardware is in my sig.

Check and make sure your power settings are on low or balanced. Start > Control Panel > System and Maintenance > Power Options.

It is in high performance mode, but would it not still go into standby when I hit sleep? What the hell is it doing then when I try too? Just logging me off and putting the monitor on standby?

Thanks for the tip though. I will give that a try when I get home. I hope its that simple. What about acpi 2.0 in bios. Should that be enabled or is better to let windows handle standby and not the board?

No dice...

I set the computer to balanced mode. Made sure my USB mouse was set so it wasn't able to wake the computer. Also changed my multimedia settings to allow the computer to sleep.

Well the computer did go to sleep, but did not wake up. Upon hitting a key on the keyboard, everything spins up, the light on my power button blinks once and everything shuts down. I tried this at stock bios settings and overclocked...no change. I tried it with and with out ACPI 2.0 enabled and did the same thing.

Any other ideas to try?

Try msconfig and use Selective Startup with all the boxes under it unchecked. You can rule out a program causing it to happen. You can also disable devices in Device Manager to rule out a flaky driver.

Also, see that your keyboard has "allow to wake" box unchecked too in the properties.

when it is on balance it will shut down everything but still have small power channel through it. simply press your power button on the pc and then everything will turn on. think of it like this. when you go to sleep nothing is happening except what needs to happen to keep you alive. the power button is the alarm =p. that's pretty much the most energy sufficient way to put your computer into sleep mode. other then that im not sure im understanding what you want it to do exactly.

Have you checked your BIOS settings? It sounds like it's going into S1 instead of S3 sleep mode.

Make sure under 'Multimedia Settings' that 'When sharing media' is set to 'Allow the computer to sleep' for both battery and AC profiles.

That's under the "Advance Power Settings" dialog box for your active plan in the Power Options control panel applet. I found this out the hard way after my laptop attempted to cook itself in its case when I thought it was suspended.

Back